1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Left-Hander's Day!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm lefty but probably identify as ambidextrous.

Write, eat, kick with left. Throw with right. Dribble with both. Switch hit.

During the sportswritering days I'd look for lefty rarities such as lefty catchers. Here's a shot from the spring of 2000 showing Fair Haven's catcher. For International Left-Hander's Day that year I put together a cool graphic highlighting great lefty baseball players at each position.

Several years later I covered a beer league softball game and shot a cool moment: lefty pitcher, lefty hitter, lefty catcher.

Which side do you come from?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Right hand/right eye dominant.

Bat, golf and shoot (hockey) left, everything else (write, eat, throw, etc) right.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Write, eat, serve in tennis, shoot a basketball, shave -- left
    Bat, golf, grounstrokes in tennis -- right

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Growing up, I would bat/throw/write right-handed, BUT ...

... my sophomore year of high school, my right hand got smashed between two football helmets and I sprained my wrist.

At the time, we had a ping-pong table in the basement and I started playing left-handed, because my right hand/wrist was wrapped up in a soft cast. For whatever reason, I could put more English on the ping-pong ball left-handed, so I stuck with it.

Since then, I have shot pool left-handed, played tennis left-handed, learned to switch hit in softball games (left side for contact, right side for power) and now, thanks to various right shoulder injuries, can throw a football left-handed.

Not ambidextrous, but an honorary lefty by necessity.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now that's just weird.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Don't ask. I have always thrown lefty and when I learned to hit when I was little, I just imitated my brother (who hits righty). When I played tennis at day camp in grade school, they told us to serve like we threw and hit groundstrokes like we batted. I never had lessons and didn't realize it was strange (and I did a pretty good John McEnroe service imitation). I was barely decent enough to play a little high school tennis (last doubles against the bad schools) and our coach was horrified. He made me try two forehands, but it never worked. It's only a problem when I'm at net and switch hands for an overhead, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Dominant lefty, but none of my four kids are. However, they seem a little more comfortable with their left hand than most right-handers. Particularly my oldest son, who eats left-handed.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty. My younger son is also a lefty. My mother in law insists that he must get it from her great aunt.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lefty all the way. Me and Leonardo.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I'm left-handed.

My unscientific observations support the finding there is a higher percentage of left-handed lawyers than there are left-handed people in the general population.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Doesn't hurt as much writing on legal tablets rather than spiral notebooks???

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Strengths: increased likelihood of playing pro baseball.

Weaknesses: Profound disgust with lecture hall desks, spiral notebooks and most scissors.

Draft saved Draft deleted