1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

happy labor day weekend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Sep 6, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i know it's my least favorite three-day weekend of the year. end of summer. beginning of school. etc. etc. etc.

anyone got anything cookin' good over these three days? nothing much for the shockeys until tomorrow, an annual labor day weekend barbeque with some of our best friends at one of their homes.

anyone got anything worth sharing with the class?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm laboring. Every day.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just finished smoking about 20 pounds of meat for the family and friends. We'll have plenty of leftovers.

As for tomorrow, after the in-laws leave, I think there's a block-party type cookout at the house across the street. Hamburgers and hot dogs, I think.

I've got a little work left on the crown molding we hung in the bedroom on Friday and Saturday. I'll touch up my nail holes and putty the joints that didn't fit together 100 percent. Then cut the grass if the rain holds off.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Worked 16 hours Saturday. Getting drunk today. Working eight more Monday. Some weekend.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hung out with one of my brothers at the local fishing derby's awesome party tent on Friday night, took the kids to see a movie last night and have just been hanging around today.

Tomorrow is family dinner day at my parents' house and, later, maybe cranking some tunes to drown out the "don't wanna go back to school" wailing that I know is coming.

Truth be told, I'm really not ready for them to go back to school either. If I were independently wealthy or had a sugar momma or even earned a comfortable enough living as a freelancer, I'd home-school 'em. Seriously.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yesterday was the big party day for my friends and I. We had a potluck on a rooftop and started drinking around two. My day didn't end until about noon today with a subway ride of shame across the city. So even though I probably won't do much of anything today and tomorrow, it was a solid first labor day weekend in my new locale.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Since the team I cover played its first game Thursday, I've had a rather lazy weekend — after working about 35 days in a row.

The team doesn't practice on Mondays, so I'm going over to Nashville tomorrow to hang out with my best friend, whom I only get to see four or five times a year.

Of course, I might not see another day off until Thanksgiving.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm catching up on sleep after getting about 10 in the last 48 hours.

9. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Tack on to that 14 hours Friday, six hours today and getting drunk now, and that sounds like my weekend.

This thread should be enough to keep kids of of J-School.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Saturday I tailgated. Then a bar crawl after. More bars tonight. Sleeping all day tomorrow. Then back to the 9 to 5. Nothing really fun.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Normally I'd be working Monday but my kid's baseball team made it to the final of the provincial championship so my boss has graciously given me the day off from watching lousy exhibition junior hockey to go to that and keep score for the kids like I have all season. Can't complain about that. And I'll be hoping one of the sports channels up here picks up Miami-Florida State.

12. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This field has made me despise holidays. I work a normal schedule this week and almost every other holiday. But everybody everywhere just talks nonstop about the holiday and what they're doing. I'm fine with working the holiday, until I'm reminded approximately every four minutes that the rest of the world is off work.

Draft saved Draft deleted