1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Juneteenth!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bump.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Football_Bat is chazp.

J/K. I'd never heard of Juneteenth until last year, I think. And then, it was because one of the students who worked for my then-shop did a story on a local celebration of Juneteenth.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I never heard of Juneteenth either, at least I thought until I saw that I posted on this thread 2 years ago.

Friggin drugs killing my brain.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Where were you last year, slacker?

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Speaking of bumps ....

Glad to see that someone had referenced the holiday in the past before it went national. I don't think anyone on this board outside of Texas knew of it before the Aughts. But people knew.

The challenge going forward is to keep this from becoming the Black St. Patrick's Day where all meaning of historic subjugation on these shores is lost.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lots of people on Facebook posting It’s Fathers Day in response to Juneteenth posts. Not sure how these casual racists will tell on themselves next year since Juneteenth is on a Monday. But I’m sure they’ll find a way.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Too late. There already are Juneteenth sales.

I do wish there was a social justice component to the holiday. I liked how Obama started a national day of service around MLK Day. I feel like for us white folk, it’s another day off and we don’t appreciate the significance of it.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

August 8 has always celebrated as Emancipation Day in Tennessee.
    When I was a kid, I remember it commonly being referred to by a different name that I won't repeat.
    There were celebrations by black folks similar to July 4th.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never heard of that one. Then again I mostly grew up on the Cumberland Plateau, which resembles the inside of a salt shaker.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Crossed it twice - once each way - Saturday.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lotta neighborhood cookouts Sunday and Monday here.

They start early and end late. Our little park was shoulder to pork shoulder with music and dancing and smoke.

Terrific weather. Great day.

Draft saved Draft deleted