1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Juneteenth!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 19, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

true. drinking, crowds, and fuck ups don't mix well.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Guess this guy's a fuckup for stopping at a red light.

Milwaukee Police say a 33-year-old man has a broken teeth, two broken eye sockets and cuts all over his face after a group of teenagers pulled him from his car and beat him following Milwaukee's Juneteenth celebration.

Video:

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/1962.html

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I thought it was interesting that the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper story didn't mention the race or ethnicity of the victim. (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=622207)

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

(He appears to be Middle Eastern.)

[​IMG]

Man Pulled From Car, Beaten After Juneteenth
    Michael George/WTMJ

MILWAUKEE - Pat Kasthurirangaian said he doesn't know the people who pulled him from his car and brutally beat him. He doesn't know why they did it. He has some serious injuries after a senseless beating that took place as people left Tuesday's Juneteenth celebration.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm not an expert, obviously, but Kasthurirangaian sounds like a South Asian name. Indian, Sri Lankan, Thai, someplace like that. If I had to guess.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's very likely a Hmong name. The Hmong, who migrated from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the mid 70s, mostly congregated in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The racism shown towards the Hmong is pretty shocking in some areas of both states.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Before reading this thread, I wasn't clear on what Juneteenth is. But I have seen the term several times recently. In fact, there's a story on the wire about some people beating the passenger of a vehicle to death after the vehicle hit a child, or something of that general nature. I noticed in that story a mention of a juneteenth celebration. But I really need to get a better idea of what this is.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Thanks Buck. First Black History Month. Now this. If we could just overcome whatever it is that Gary Sheffield thinks is taking place in professional baseball, we'd finally have a society to write home about.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never head of Juneteenth until this week, when there were news stories of violence associated with the holiday in Milwaukee, Austin and Syracuse.

Apparently, there is always going to be an element that will use any excuse to turn any holiday into Freaknik.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I had never heard of Juneteenth either but from the postings it seems to be the holiday on which drunken assholes beat the shit out of innocent people for no reason.

It's the American way.

12. boots

boots New Member

It's a part of history that isn't taught in many schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted