1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Hanukah!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

To all of the Jewish folks here, have a wonderful festival of lights by yourself or with loved ones.

Going to spin the dreidel? Make latkes? If so, do you prefer sour cream or apple sauce? Or ketchup? Dancing the hora?

What presents are you hoping to receive? What unique presents are you giving? A good friend loves Hunter and Steadman, so I got this poster and had it framed. To that end, when did framing become so bloody expensive?

[​IMG]

I'm trying to put something together and would love pictures of your family menorahs. Email them to getartbehappy@gmail.com ... say how old the menorah is and perhaps something significant about it. Thanks.

Have a Great Hanukah!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, indeedy, a HAPPY CHANUKAH 2012 to all my fellow tribesmen and women. our annual 'celebration' with all my favorite kosher deli items won't be until next saturday here at rancho de shockey, when middle son comes home for winter break. but we'll be lighting the menorah far away from the christmas tree to avoid any unfortunate accidents.

middle heir has invited his new gf to spend the evening with us. brave young lady has taken him up on it and is 'eagerly looking forward to it,' he reports. he asked if she could spend the night to avoid a late-night train ride back to the city and i told him sure -- as long as you both understand you'll be in separate bedrooms. not under mrs. shockey's roof will the three stooges get the 'okay' from mom for those shenanigans before their 21. middle son is 19, the gf 20. so no alcohol forthem, either. our house, our (mrs. shockey's) rules. hopefully the gf isn't scared off. at least eldest son shockey's gf of more than 3 years can give her moral support. she's survived us alright.

then the countdown to our christmas celebration begins! can't wait! :D

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Adding my Happy Chanukah greetings on my first holiday here.

The candles were lit. The frozen latkes were heated and served with plain yoghurt.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

A friend of mine just sent this to me, but maybe it's already made the rounds.

.be

Happy Hanukkah, bitches!

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here was the first gift tonight:

[​IMG]

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I will always remember comedian Dennis Wolfberg's routine about Hanukkah...

Wolfberg said he was booked to play Washington, D.C., during Presidents' Day weekend. "It was an appropriate booking for me, as opposed to when I was booked to play Mobile, Ala., during Hanukkah. Mobile, a CITADEL of Judaica, a HOT BED of Hebrew activity. Where they didn't even know from Hanukkah. As evidenced by the guy who actually said to me, 'Happy Chaka Khan."

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know the significance of Hanukah to all here who might be willing to discuss it.

I mean, I know it's an important holiday and period of the year for those of the Jewish faith, but I'm interested in how significant it is to you personally, and how much you practice your faith.

In my Christian faith, there are lots of Easter-and-Christmas-only believers/church-goers, and there are others who try to really live the faith, and those who are believers but their active participation and observation of tenets waxes and wanes.

How deeply religious/spiritual do you tend to be? How do you try to incorporate your faith and beliefs into your lives, and how important is it to you to do so? Or, are you more casual observers of the faith, but this is tradition? Have your levels of participation changed over the years, or for particular reasons?

Our family's longest-dating family friends are Jewish, but they don't actively practice much, and I've been to one Passover Seder celebration in my life -- invited, along with a few others on our college newspaper staff way back when by a friend who was the managing editor of the paper.

I found the experience interesting, enlightening, and also, more fun than I'd anticipated it would be. I even wound up writing about it for the local paper at which I worked my first internship.

But I've had little other formal exposure to the Jewish faith beyond that and what knowledge and understanding I gained from a World Religions class, also taken in college.

My faith is a very real, important part of my own life, and I'd be interested to hear about your feelings and experiences regarding your own.

8. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

I'm not Jewish, but love many people who are. So, hope your Hanukkah is very happy, indeed: http://youtu.be/K1QRSl6hUZw

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have a buddy who went to his first Hanukah party tonight. And he said they made funnel cakes. Is that true? Cause, that's awesome.

10. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm a practicing Jew -- keep Kosher, attends Temple, minyan one night a week, etc.

Hannakah is a very minor holiday in the scheme of things. But it's a nice reason to get the extended family together for a night. And it's a huge deal to the kids.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's Baby Abraham's birthday, right? Although I think it sorta sucks that it's celebrated with birthday candles but no cake.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, based on that I'm converting. :)

Presbyterians never get that kinda gift on Christmas.

Happy Hanukah!

Draft saved Draft deleted