1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Fourth week (end). How are you spending it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At our place they'll cut me a check for unused vacation. Last few years they've done that right before the new year.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

As is my understanding, the only way I can get paid for unused vacation is if I tender my notice and leave before the end of the year. Otherwise, I'm done for.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm taking the usual days off -- Tuesday-Wednesday -- and using July 4 holiday to go to John Mayer concert later this month.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm spending at the local sandlot baseball tournament championship game. These are my people ... folks I've known for years, baseball people and friends. Just sitting around, shooting the shit and watching some pretty good ball.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Friday, I'll work my sixth day in a row.

Saturday, we're driving an hour to take my mother out to dinner for her 70th birthday.

Sunday, leave for the Florida Gulf Coast (please don't rob "the Mansion on the Hill," 2underpar).

Off until the 17th.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am sleeping in and then helping run the beer booth as a volunteer for my paper at the local downtown shindig. Hopefully running the beer booth means I get free beer, but I am guessing I won't.

Of course, all of this may change if the thunderstorm predictions for my part of the world come true.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Taking Wednesday off and visiting family. Staying with family Thursday and Friday but use that time as writing days to get a bunch of advance copy done.
    It will be like work, but only sort of. I just won't be making calls, just answering the cell phone if it rings and checking my work e-mail.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was set to take vacation in July and a writer left, and his position was frozen. So I had to cancel. I had two weeks to use or lose before my anniversary date, and the company would not pay me.

It was the best two weeks in mid-September I ever enjoyed.

Draft saved Draft deleted