1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Festivus!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you besmirching the spirit of festivus?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Happy Festivus, one and all. Normally I don't like to announce things this monumental until the "actual" morning hits, but I've been beaten to the punch, and it's Dec. 23 all over the continental U.S. (Sorry, Hawaii).

I hope everyone has a great holiday. Just remember one thing: No tinsel.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Crap, I have to work Festivus -- amazingly, it's not one of our union holidays. And I seriously doubt the NFL venue I'm going to will have an aluminum pole. Though the losing coach will probably air grievances.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's bullshit.

[​IMG]

Seriously, I made three of these. If you need me to do so, I'll send one your way. Of course, the postal services don't work today because of the Festivus holiday (and it's Sunday ... but mostly because it's Festivus). But I'll do anything to help a fellow believer out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, you're a real solid guy when you're filled with the festivus spirit.

6. ArnoldBabar

Did you try putting a bucket on your carrier's head? You know, to symbolize the oppression.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seriously, dude, you don't know the half of it. I haven't told any of my friends who'll be arriving at my parents' place about what I've got in store. As I've said in previous posts -- maybe even this one ... I forget -- I paid for the pole and opened it today. When my friends, who have come "home" from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, D.C. and Virginia, come into my parents' basement -- our Festivus gathering place, complete with a bar, for the last three years -- they'll see a 6-foot pole, three picket signs like the aforementioned around the place, gifts for each person, cookies donated from my mom and a fridge full of beer. I even made donation cards from the "Human Fund" to give to everyone.

I am beyond help. But they're going to be fucking stoked, and that's worth a couple hundred bucks of planning for me. Frank Costanza would be proud. And Larry David would tell me to get a fucking life.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did. But some fucking old lady told me I should be wearing the bucket. "Move along, Betty," I said. And off she went. Then Wilford fucking Brimley showed up and ruined my day. Postmaster General, my ass. ...

9. ArnoldBabar

What are you planning for the feats of strength? I had a Festivus party once, and we did arm wrestling and the tearing of phone books.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good god do i ever wish i was going to be attending that party.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We're going to decide that tomorrow. I brought the Super Nintendo home, so it might be an NHL '94 or Madden '96 or Griffey tournament. We could also play Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy (though I'd like to stand a chance at winning, so that's likely out) or Family Feud -- with Ray Combs; we don't recognize anyone else around these parts, even though Richard Karn couldn't be a nicer guy. Or we might wrestle. My brother doesn't like the idea because he's five to eight years younger than everyone else and his new girlfriend will be there, but that might not help his case at all.

I'll return following the Festiv-ities tomorrow to give you all the recap. It's always a good time. But two of the main characters won't be in town, including my best friend, so it'll seem a bit odd. But we're troopers. We won't let Frank down.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Man...that's making me remember this "Ren and Stimpy" party that the former Mrs. BGZ and I hosted. There were only six shows out at the time and we aired all six. The grub was "Gritty Kitty" which was some sort of granola snack mix and "Shaving Scum on a Stick" which was vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles mixed in. We printed up little cards with the lyrics to the log song so that everyone could sing along. The funny thing was that about a week before the party we were coming home and nearly drove over a log in the middle of the road. We stopped and picked it up and that was our log! We sent Nickelodeon a fax about our party and they sent us a box of Ren & Stimpy buttons to hand out. Good times!

Draft saved Draft deleted