1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father's Day!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Moddy - hope the Queen and you are back to normal soon. Glad to hear she was not hurt.

This was the 3rd Fathers Day for me since my dad died. I was mostly OK and I hung out with some friends, but it just feels weird and sad.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No doubt you will - you work hard and you are a good person.

It gets less that way after a while but it never does go totally away. In a way, that's not a bad thing because it means he had such a positive impact on you. Hang in.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Paper Doll: Your avatar is hypnotic.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

My dad died in December so this was my first Father's Day without him.

It was awful....I had no idea how much marketing there is around the day.

I'm just glad it's over.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Still struggle with Father's Day now almost six years after mine died.

He never got to meet either of his grandchildren. My oldest was born exactly one month after he died. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I just keep to myself mainly and watch the Open after celebrating with my little ones. I love being a dad, but I hate I don't get to enjoy time with mine any longer.

6. I had the best Father's Day weekend ever.
    My dad drove up Friday to help me put gutter up around the garage. We spent Friday night and Saturday morning together on that project.*
    Sunday, the family went to the waterpark where I spent several hours with my oldest son going down waterslides. He has finally reached the age and bravery level to conquer waterslides.
    I also got to play with my other two boys in the water.
    It was easily one of the best, most stress-free, enjoyable days I've had as a father/parent.

* My dad was old school - in the sense that if you worked and provided for the family you were doing your job as a dad.
    After my brother's suicide, dad changed a 180 degrees and became a completely different man, who is not afraid to show affection, seldom loses his temper and seems to have a much better, happier outlook on life. He enjoys his children and grandchildren.
    It's sad that it took my brother's death to bring about this change, but it was the silver lining so to speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted