1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father's Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

To all you dads out there....wishes for prosperity and all the tools you need to be a great parent in this tough world, economically and otherwise. It may be sexist, but men are wired to be the family providers and it's my hope that every one of you find a path to prosper in.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Providers

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me Scribe, you Jane.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

My dad is one of the reasons I'm a sports journalist. For that -- and a million other reasons -- I'm thankful for him.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Cheesy post alert:

My six year old learned to ride a two-wheeler today. Great Father's Day memory for the both of us. I'll never forget the look on her face when she realized she had it figured out.
    That is all.
    I return to my role as a cynical desker.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nice one, canucklehead. :D

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.
    This was my first Father's Day as a dad and it was great. Just wish my dad hadn't died 8 years ago so he could have been around to celebrate as a grandpa. Or that my wife's father hadn't died 15-16 years ago so he could have been celebrating as a grandpa too.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

great one, canuck. a lifetime memory there.

all three shockey boys, 19, 16 and 14, hung out with the ol' man on this rainy day and helped out their mom as best they could. much yelling still required to get things done, but any time i came close to coming to mrs. shockey's aid by declaring we've raised three crummy kids she'd say, "c'mon, shockey, they're gotta admit they're good boys."

and they are. greatest feeling in the world to know you've been doing a good job with no experience!

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

To the Dads on this thread who worry about doing a good job .... my dad was not perfect. He was emotionally unavailable and he and my Mom split up when I was a teenager. But he did a remarkable job considering the parenting that HE had and I see my brothers and sisters improving on him. It's comforting.

This is coming out wrong because I'm feeling emotional, but all you Dad's make a difference, whether your children realize it or not. And I would give everything to be able to say all of this to my father.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Today was my 2nd Father's Day without my dad. I'm a little mad at myself for not doing more to honor him. Thanks to a thoughtful friend, though, I had a nice day and wasn't too sad. 'Til now.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Guiding me into this sinkhole of a "career" is one thing I cannot blame my dad for. He probably wanted me to learn a trade, something actually useful.

Draft saved Draft deleted