1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father's Day!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Jun 17, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Spent the day with my 15-year-old soccer studdette and the above-mentioned 10-year-old Little Buddy, the two greatest people in the world.

Of course, I've been sitting on my butt for two-plus weeks in a back brace after having spinal fusion surgery, so it's not like we actually went out and did anything. Still, the quality is always better than that quantity.

My own father died 30 years ago Groundhog Day. And I still miss him.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Nothing says Happy Father's Day like a call to dad from four time zones away. That's ok though, we'll do some father/son bonding at an Indians game when I head back his way in two weeks. Hope he's been dying to see the Devil Rays! (Unless I can talk dad into a road trip up to Detroit for the next series, which I think would be a good time.)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I had a nice dinner with The Twins who I think are slightly younger than the majority of people on this board. Dinner with 19 year olds is always fun because they really do live in a parallel universe.

Unfortunately, the Eldest was working, serving dinner to really, really rich fathers at the private golf club where he's working for the summer.

My dad passed away 25 years ago last week.

If he were still alive we'd have been watching the US Open together today

And he'd go on and on about Ben Hogan being the greatest golfer he ever saw and how he caddied in two Canadian Opens and how you "drive for show and putt for dough". :)

4. Babs

Babs Member

I just got off the phone with my dad and wanted to share something. First, note that I'm female. This is an important part of the story.

I don't talk about my work a ton with my dad, because he's not that into the craft of writing. He played a lot of sports growing up, so we're best talking sports itself. But I happened to mention something today about being one of few women in a certain context, and he seemed genuinely surprised that this would be an issue. Looking back, it was this gender-neutral attitude in my family that got me as far as I am today. Thanks Dad!

5. Unfortunately, I'm working on this, my fourth father's day. But we made up for it this weekend with a trip to the mall (for her) and a trip to a baseball game (for me), though she enjoys the ballpark food and the mascot.

The person I considered my father died 20 years ago last December when I was a teen. My biological father is around somewhere but not worth talking about, though I guess his being an asshole made me the doting dad I am now.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The last time I saw my dad was when half of me was leaving him. But happy Father's Day to the rest of you all the same.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did get two phone calls today, the second of which ended with, "Oh yeah, Happy Father's Day. Love you." So that's something.
    My wife took me out for dinner, so that's something, too.

My dad has been gone 40-plus years. He would have played golf all morning and watched golf all afternoon, probably sounding just like JR's dad except he didn't caddy. He would have had his parrot nearby, either on his shoulder or somewhere else close. He really wanted the parrot to be able to say, "Son of a bitch." Never did happen.

The parrot did learn how to say my dad's name in a real screechy voice because my mom would run in and say his name in a real screechy voice when he tried to teach the parrot to cuss. And that's what the parrot picked up. He'd say it and we'd laugh and then the bird learned to laugh and it was quite the cycle that would leave my mom cussing.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, since we all usually open up on here, I'll do it as well.
    Our kids were conceived by turkey baster route, aka in-vitro fertilization.
    I was the problem (no swimmers), so we had to get donor sperm. I often, during the pregnancy, wondered how I'd feel knowing that the kids weren't my DNA. The moment they arrived, I cared less, and 11 months later (on Monday), I still care less. I can't tell you how my times I teared up looking at them today...the 3 healthy, happy, smily, giggly, beautiful children...MY kids.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I had a great day. I was lucky enough to spend time with my wife, my kids, my parents and my in-laws, and I treasured every moment.

I hope everyone else had a good day, whether you are a father or spent time with yours or took a moment or more to think about yours.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I like it when the USGP falls on Father's Day. I called my dad from the Formula One paddock this morning. I know it's corny, but I love doing stuff like that.

Then I told Bernie Ecclestone to go fuck himself. Kind of killed the mood.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I got to sneak a small tribute to my dad into today's paper. I consider that a perk of working at a small shop. He loved it. Then I taught him how to use his iPod.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My biological father and I have, at best, a complicated relationship. We are just now getting to the point where we talk on the phone on a semi-regular basis. The oddest part is that I'm the only one of his children who picked up his love of sports. My two sibling who lived with him as children don't particularly care for them, just little ol' me.

Today's phone call reminded me of this fact when he asked me for a scouting report on a kid from around here who signed with his NFL team. So I gave him my 5-minute spiel on the kid's strengths and weaknesses, and kinda giggled. Who would have thought after five years of not speaking to each other that we'd get to the point of talking football during every phone call. It seems so safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted