1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father’s Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jun 17, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Congrats, Hermes. This is the best news the board has seen in, like, forever.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Many congrats, Hermes. I stayed home with my first-born and loved every second of it. Best job ever.

And yes, may he grow up to be an engineer.

John B. Foster likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A tip of the glass your way Hermes.
    Macanudos for everyone!
    HOORAY!

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We’ve got a beautiful baby boy. And despite a nerve-wracking couple of days that included a really tough delivery when he got turned transversely and then waiting 24 hours during an ice storm at a small hospital for it to clear up so a helicopter could get him to Indianapolis to check out a heart murmur, he’s been checked out by the NICU and given the thumbs up. After some jaundice is dealt with he’ll be back on his way home. And he’s the star of the NICU with the nurses. I’m already terrified of him being 16 and the girls flocking when he poses like this at them.

5C0AE7C4-849F-47BE-AC9C-2751B5D40EF8.jpeg

So ends my self-centered thread I jacked. Thanks for indulging it. I’m just so proud. I’m so in awe of life. I’m a wreck and yet strangely high from this roller coaster, from the thrill of learning what this is all about. I’m humbled by the work of nurses and doctors and even foodstaffs at these hospitals. They’re authentic heroes, pulling my distressed son from his mother, bringing him to life bedside, soothing him throughout the night, taking him into the sky in subzero temperatures and doing it all for me, not their own. I’m reminded people are genuinely good. (And after seeing all the children Peyton Manning’s efforts have helped in this hospital, I’ll never make a joke about his acting chops in those Papa John’s and Nationwide commercials ever again. What a legacy he’ll leave on this earth.)

I just got done holding my son months after I thought I’d never have one. Months after I then thought I might never meet him. After I lost his twin. After I thought he might be in peril and agonized as I watched the weather delay his flight, wondering if he might not make it.

The Decembrists have a song...What a terrible world, what a beautiful world.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Slacker, WriteThinking, Dyno and 3 others like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Best. Threadjack. Ever.

And congrats.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Congratulations. That is one dreamy pose.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good looking kid!!!

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The best thing is, he really does good and healthy! Congratulations!

I was thinking of you the past few days, remembering you'd said they were inducing Friday, and specifically went in search of this thread a couple of times in the past couple days...Thanks for posting the update:). Soak in and enjoy this precious time with your family. And never forget the feelings you just described in that post.

Not everyone ever gets to experience them.

Draft saved Draft deleted