1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Easter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 5, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm jest here to help, folks

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Nice to see Flash is doing well.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that too.

4. boots

boots New Member

Remember the reason for the day and it's not jellybeans or peeps.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Happy Easter, everyone.

[​IMG]

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was Easter when Jesus was born or when he died.

I'm Jewish and really don't know the answer.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK... let's not start a holy war, Songbird... [/majorleague]

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Love ya Xan ... but wikipedia is a godsend - pun intended.

"Easter, the Sunday of the Resurrection, Pascha, or Resurrection Day, is the most important religious feast of the Christian liturgical year, observed at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity). It celebrates the resurrection of Jesus, which his followers believe occurred on the third day (counting inclusively) after his death by crucifixion some time in the period AD 27 to 33 (see Good Friday)."

10. Songbird

I can abide by that. I just don't know anything about the Christian religion. Enlightenment could be a good thing. Quick story: I grew up in Long Beach, Ca., and in the 70s there were bumper-sticker wars between Christians and Jews; probably more tongue and cheek than anything. But Christians would put their "I Found It" bumper sticks on. Jews countered with their "We Never Lost It" bumper stickers. I always found it amusing.

And sxy, I know I could've looked it up (BTW, thanks :D ) but just wanted to hear an observer give his/her interpretation of it.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm at Jewish, at work (and feeling to lazy to research the answer), but I've got a question.
    Why is lent/Good Friday/Easter tied to the lunar calendar while Jesus' birthday is a fixed date (December 25)? Shouldn't Good Friday (the day he died) and Easter (the day he was resurrected) be the same Friday/Sunday every year and not change every year?

12. Songbird

EStreet, they'd ask the same thing about us and Hanukah and why we can't find a concrete set of 8 days to celebrate.

Draft saved Draft deleted