1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Confederate Surrender Day!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Apr 9, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When each one of the 13 southern states seceded, they issued a statement expressing the reasons for their decision. Each statement mentioned slavery prominently. Look it up.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I believe the guy he's talking about was from Valdosta, Ga.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Exactly. No war without slavery.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Neither were many nations that, like the CSA, simply decided to become one. More often than not, the United States supports such efforts.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

What's changed? The despot today is right across the Potomac.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To wander off on a tangent, a lot of what propelled the revolution forward was the pissing match between the British Parliament and the colonial legislatures. (As in, No, only we have the power to levy taxes!)

I read a book by the British historian Nick Bunker, An Empire on the Edge, last year. Another interesting thing is that almost up into the end, dealing with America was really an afterthought for Parliament. They'd debate it for a few hours, pass a bill and then forget about it entirely for a few years. It's not like in popular histories where screwing over the colonies is all they ever did morning, noon and night.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Refighting the Civil War. I thought it was over emails(!).

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Having read a fair number of books on the revolution I never drew the conclusion or even inference that the colonies were a major preoccupation with the English Crown and Parliament. From the end of the French and Indian Wars until theFrench joined the colonists as allies, the crown was diverted elsewhere inthe empire. They used the colonies as an ATM, hence the taxes. Tax money used to prop up theBritish ambitions elsewhere in the world. They kept thinking their other colonies in East Asia were more important.

Draft saved Draft deleted