1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Change the Pearl Harbor Thread Title Day!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Dec 7, 2007.

1. World War II began in 1937 at the Marco Polo Bridge.

2. And take a shitload of snapshots.

I think you're giving tourists in general (let alone Japanese tourists) far too much credit.

When I visited the beaches of Normandy, I was struck by how many American tourists were just there because it was the next stop on their itinerary. At the American cemetery, there was a group of college kids taking "goofy" group pictures.

If you want to preserve any degree of solemnity about a place, don't put anything there that can draw tourists. Because eventually it becomes just another place to take pictures and get T-shirts.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know - Honolulu in general is pretty touristy but at Pearl Harbor dignity is preserved. I've been there a few times and each visit has been a very solemn affair. The Arizona Monument and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are places that everyone seems to arrive with a great deal of dignity. Both places get dusty very fast.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Light-hearted addition to the thread:

My Dad was dating Mom in college when Tora! Tora! Tora! came out. They'd been dating for a while and decided to see it together.

So the story goes... at the end of the movie, Dad gets up and says, "Well, we won that one!"

On the serious side, Dad's father fought for us in the 442nd. So he had the right to make the joke.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and not a few of them are no doubt thinking:

"Damn . . . if only our bombers had enjoyed the flight/fuelling range to be able to reach the States . . . "

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If they'd used suicide missions from the get-go, they could've easily reached the coast.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's amazing to think that Pearl Harbor was 66 years ago. If you put that into Civil War terms, we're as far from that as folks in 1929 were from Gettysburg.

I wonder if the Civil War elicited the same feelings in the 20s and Pearl Harbor does now? Maybe down South, I guess.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Tora, Tora, Tora got it right.

9. Except that there is no Beckinsale factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted