1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Canada Day, Fellow Canucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And a happy belated Canada Day, from a descendant of people who cut down Quebec's trees.

And FOTF, on the subject of Toronto/rest of Canada differences, I did not realize until, literally, yesterday of the existence of "Goin' Down the Road" (I found it searching for Bruce Cockburn music -- he did the soundtrack). I remember the SCTV parody, not realizing at the time it was a parody, just a funny bit about Maritimers in the big town. (In retrospect, I bet they used Cockburn's original music, too, given SCTV pulled the movie's lead actress to play the same role in the sketch.) So should I hurry to find a copy?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Very true. I'm from New York, and when I visit most of Canada they seem to regard me as a New Yorker first and a Canadian a semi-distant second.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good point.
    Le good point.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This guy does not appreciate your sense of humour

[​IMG]

5. I drank some Canadian, listened to Plants and Animals and played some NHL 96.

Rack Canada.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

So when you travel in the rest of 'Merica you don't say "I'm from New York but ...", which on a closer reading you'll discover was the analogy I was making.

I did not suggest anything about how the rest of Canada regards a Torontonian as a Torontonian first and a Canadian second. The earlier note was about Torontonians' identity.

Of course, a New Yorker could conflate this with Guilianian cynicism. I agree with the rest of the U.S. ... them and their elites could fall off into the ocean for all I care.

o-<

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So I take it you don't really care for me and my brethren. :'(

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Toronto and New York got in a fight, would the rest of the two respective countries get involved?
    Would they weigh in for the other side?

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'd throw Jell-O into the pit and just watch.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can someone really make it rain Timbits south of the border?

And those jerseys the Jays were rocking were kinda nice.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey Ragu, I thought of you when I saw this, from Rick Moranis.....

Canadians defer. We save our loonies and don’t jaywalk. It’s illegal, eh. We stand on guard at red lights, even when there is no traffic. We wait for clear, green governing lights to signal our turn and lead us on.

You see? It ain't just me!! ;D

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Every day is Canada Day here.
    I get my Tim's fix whenever I want.
    Last month for my birthday, I got $120 worth of Tim's cards.
    Should last me, oh, maybe, about a month. OK, two months.
    God, I love their coffee.
    Now with summer, it's iced, medium, triple-triple with Splenda and 2 shots of butter caramel.
    I think of all my fine Canadian SportsJournalists.com friends whenever I go through the drive-thru.

Draft saved Draft deleted