1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Canada Day, eh!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Very nice column by Margaret Wente, most of whose stuff I can't stand.

A former colleague of mine and she are weekend neigbhours.

They both own country homes in the heart of rural Ontario, about an hour north of the city.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080630.cowent01/BNStory/CanadaDay2008/home

“Is there any place as beautiful as here?” we all ask each other. Obviously, the answer is no. The wildflowers in our meadow have never been more abundant, thanks to all the rain this spring. Outside our window, the swallows are dive-bombing the blue jays and chasing them away from the nest where the swallow chicks have hatched. We've all forgotten the winter we complained about so much.

Like everyone else, Canadians love to complain. Our taxes are too high and our social services are too low. Our winters are too long and our politicians are pathetic. We have no sense of national unity. Our neighbour to the south has gone temporarily berserk. Gas prices are going through the roof, and global warming is melting the Arctic ice.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Edit: How can I forget about Coffee Crips, Buttermilk, and football (with 12 players) in July?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Downey is a huge name in that part of the province. Big farming family.

Wonder if Aaron brought the Stanley Cup to SuperBurger and perched it in the converted TTC street car that is the only place I eat when we stop there.

4. Happy Canada Day to all here from north of the 49th. Some of you drive me nuts, but overall I can't imagine anybody else I'd rather have as a neighbor.

Come to think of it, I could use a Tim Hortons apple fritter right about now.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Last time I was at Superburger I met Double J there to pay off a bet.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I think it's awesome that the Stanley Cup is today in the hands of a Newfoundlander for the first time in history.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted