1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Boxing Day everyone!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 26, 2009.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Since it falls on a Saturday, most Canucks also get Monday off.

HC of course has to work tonight but we'll catch Canada/Latvia this afternoon, the opening game of the World Junior Hockey Championship and then tonight it's the Leafs and the Habs

Boxing Day is the Canuck equivalent of Black Friday. Sales everywhere, idiots out fighting for parking spots at malls.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Happy Boxing Day to you too JR.

As the WJC hockey is to Canada, soccer is in my part of the world. I remember getting up, having a cold turkey sandwich before walking down to the stadium if my team was at home on Boxing Day.

Now, the games are all more spread out, but that just means there's three EPL games to watch all morning, including Liverpool and Wolverhampton Wanderers in five minutes.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr what are the origins of boxing day?

4. JR

JR Active Member

As good an explanation as any

http://www.pauldenton.co.uk/Boxingday.htm

GB-Hack probably knows better than I---it's a British tradition which we picked up----like celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in May

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Except there are now "Boxing Week" sales which will last pretty much right through to New Year's.

Considering how many people get gift cards for Christmas, it's just as busy in the week following the big day as it is the week before.

6. Boom_70

Thanks. Based on this description though wouldn't Boxing Day be Monday?

"Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day is classed as the Christmas Season with Boxing day falling on the following Monday if December 26th falls on a Saturday or Sunday."

7. JR

JR Active Member

For work purposes, you get the following Monday off if Boxing Day falls on the weekend but it's not one of those moveable holidays--the day IS the day. ;)

8. Boom_70

Gotcha - thanks .

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My old man was a British Army vet who loved the Boxing Day tradition of the officers trading spots with the enlisted men.

No mall for Boxng Day insanity for this kid. I am watching the Little Caesar's Bowl before the Canuckistan-Latvia "game".

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They call it Boxing Day because of the people fighting for position at the Wal-Mart return counter.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

If that really were the case, they'd call it Shit Show Day. :eek: ;D

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Get it right, people. It's the Feast of Stephen (see: Wenceslas, Good King).

Draft saved Draft deleted