1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Justin_Rice, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen this on the board yet, so I thought I'd start a thread.

heyabbott, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

#30for30 breakdown on how he has spent that million a year so far ...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Bobby Bonilla had a dollar for every time someone has posted about him on the board today, we'd be talking about how rich he was before he got his deferred salary.

maumann likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You’d be talking about where he should invest those dollars, though.

5. The Big Ragu

He's getting 8 percent annualized GUARANTEED in a world in which real rates are being manipulated to keep them below zero. He doesn't need my investment advise. ... which isn't worth much anyhow right now, and certainly doesn't come with any guarantees.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Imagine the discussion in Bonilla’s agent’s office:

“the contracts for $70m but they need time so it’s going to be paid out over 30yrs”

“why can’t I get it over 5/10 yrs like everyone else?”

“can you live on $1.2M a year for 35?”

“yeah I guess so”.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bonilla was with the Cardinals but got hurt in spring training. It opened the door for Pujols to make the team instead of heading back to the minors, and, well, you know the rest. Best injury in Cardinals history.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fun fact: The Braves have been paying Bruce Sutter $1.12M per year since 1989. I think the deal is up next year.

9. The Big Ragu

I knew nothing about this deal. What a frickin deal he signed, putting it into the context of 1984 salaries.

He signed a 6-year deal for $4.8 million total (so something like $800K a year). ... with another $4.8 million deferred and put into an annuity at 12 or 13 percent interest, paid out over 30 years after the 6 years were up. That has given him a minimum payment of at least $1.12 million each year for the last 30 years. And on top of it, when the annuity runs out this year or next, he'll get the principle back. ... a lump sum payment of $9 to $10 million. At least assuming that the Braves made good on the contract. If they did, he killed it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    bigpern23 likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When players pass up on deferred money they should be pointed to this guys. Nats apparently
    Lost Harper and Rendon because of deferred money.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mailbox money.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If someone else is offering the same money but not deferred, why wouldn’t they take that and buy their own annuity?

Draft saved Draft deleted