1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Bloomsday!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 16, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomsday

Keillor concluded the Writer's Almanac this morning by reading Molly Bloom's final monologue in place of his usual poem.

Anybody here actually read Ulysses?

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I tried, many years ago. Couldn't do it.
    My mom listened to it on "books on tape." I think even that was an accomplishment.

BTW, on "Prairie Home Companion" a few weeks ago, they did a Joyce-among-the-cowboys-in-a-movie skit that was pretty funny. Keillor, as one of the cowboys, introduced it like this:

"It's called "Ulysses West of the Mississippi." I guess the studio bought the rights to James Joyce's "Ulysses" but they couldn't afford to shoot in Ireland, so they made it into a western. Billy the Kid rides into town and shoots a guy named Finnegan and there's a wake. And he meets James Joyce in the saloon-and they face off in the street."

It also included this song snippet:
    "And this is the story of Joyce's Ulysses,
    Life is a voyage and it isn't for sissies
    Some things end and others begin again
    Here's a toast to good old Finnegan."

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've read it.
    It is difficult but worthwhile.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I plowed through it in college, but can't remember much. I'll take Portrait of the Artist and Dubliners and leave Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake to the academics.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never made it through 'Finnegan's Wake.'
    I read 'Ulysses' in high school after rescuing a copy from a dumpster. I only partially got it.
    I read it again in college and got a lot more out of it.
    'Portrait' is still far and away my favorite Joyce book and sometimes my favorite book overall.

Draft saved Draft deleted