1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday to the man who sang the national anthem like no other

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was it a tribute to Bob Dylan singing the National Anthem?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

More like a tribute to future drunks at the Final Four.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Missed it last night, and was geared up for something god-awful, reading the reaction. Wasn't the trainwreck I expected. Was it great? No, but not a trainwreck.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was horrific.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can come up with a handful of adjectives to describe The Fray, but "hipster" sure as hell isn't among them.

Could be worse, I guess, Could be a Skrillex anthem.

Oh say can you WAIT FOR THE DROP ... *three minutes of toilet sounds*

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm proud to say I've never knowingly heard one second of a Skrillex song.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My affinity for The Fray based on their periodic appearances in the "Scrubs" sountrack is losing out to my disgust at last night.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Trying to do some deviation of the Anthem ... and why do we need a group like this in the midst of one of the greatest places for jazz? Not implying that a jazzy version of the Anthem is necessary, but am saying there should be plenty of competent, if not excellent musicians, without importing whatever that was who mutilated the Anthem.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

There used to be a time when performers auditioned to do the anthem. I guess that doesn't happen any more.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of the contemporary performers I've heard do the anthem at a game, Beyonce was the best. That was before Super Bowl 38 in Houston.
    The worst? Easy: 1978 NL playoffs in Philadelphia. James Earl Jones was starring in a play about Paul Robeson that was trying out in Philly before it got to Broadway, which it didn't. Jones of course had no shot of hitting the high notes. So he RECITED the National Anthem.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If he'd done it dressed as Darth Vader, it'd have blown Whitney Houston's version out of the water.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The thing I remember the most about that Super Bowl, besides Janet Janet's wardrobe malfunction was the guy running out on the field promoting a Vegas gambling house while wearing a thong. I'm sure he was a big hit in the Harris County Jail.

Draft saved Draft deleted