1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday to The King

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He wasn't, that's true.

Death was the best career move Elvis could have made from a financial standpoint. And, considering that his re-releases are still charting, perhaps also from an artistic standpoint.

Priscilla deserves the credit for turning Elvis into a consistent moneymaker again. From what I understand, she committed to spend half a million dollars on Graceland in order to open it to the public; the investment was recouped in the first month, and the money hasn't stopped rolling in since.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was a pauper living in a mansion. ::) He was rich beyond belief, by any standards. Maybe Col. Tom had a lot of it tied up, and he's not as rich as he could have been, for sure, but still rich beyond belief.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

A second Kudos for posting that. As a huge PE fan I never understood the line even if I did enjoy it (I clicked on this thread to post it!)

Nice to see Chuck D showing the class act that he is by showing some perspective after the fact.

Once again he shows the same perspective that he showed to not actually be there live for the Flavor Flav roast.

5. dooley_womack1

That second one looks like a "what if Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis mated and their kid turned 72"

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Number forty-seven said to number three:
    Youre the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
    I sure would be delighted with your company,
    Come on and do the jailhouse rock with me

What was up with that?

7. dooley_womack1

Apparently a nod to those co-ed prisons of the 1950s

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. You really can see him pttling everything into it. That was great.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Moody Blue", "Patch It Up" and "In The Ghetto" are other great songs from his late period.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought this was about Arnold Palmer.

11. dooley_womack1

Or about Eddie Feigner. Or Haku

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Late to this party, but I always celebrate the King's birthday. The Queen made peanut butter and banana sandwiches for snack at the daycare, watched a documentary on TCM and drove to work listening to some tunes.

Never will get old listening to Elvis' music. It's as great today as it was when it was released. While all these no-talent assclowns of today's industry will fade away, Elvis will be as popular in 50 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted