1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday to one of SJ's best ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to Spnited. He would have been 62 today.

Saw his birthday pop up on my Facebook feed. It hit me weird, so I went to his still-active FB account. A few among us left their own heartfelt birthday wishes there. It's very touching.

In my case, I thought it more appropriate to leave mine here given that this is only place I ever knew him.

So happy birthday to a man who will never be forgotten here at SJ. Here's to him.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I just left my birthday greeting on his FB page too. I was happy to see that page is still active.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm still sorry I didn't make it to NYC two years ago to celebrate our 60th together---our birthdays are two days apart.

Met him for the first time on the sj Toronto outing and then again when HC & I drove to Manhattan for what was basically a night of eating and drinking. The night when the mystery man picked up the tab for the fifteen or so of us.

Here's to a great guy who is missed

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I miss him calling BYH a fucking dickhead

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know why it felt different writing on his FB wall than it does here. Maybe there, it still feels like I'm writing to him, and here it feels like I'm writing to myself.

Either way, I miss him. As much as I did in February.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto. hb, ron. sure hope you're enjoying the baseball.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, Ron.

You were gone way too soon.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In season, he loved this place for a burger with a hunk of pork roll ("Taylor ham") on it. We were driving past a few months ago and of course I thought of him. I've been inside a few times in my lifetime but never sampled the native cuisine. Some summer day, I will try it. It's across the street from the ocean:

http://www.columnsnj.net/

9. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Happy birthday, Young Fella! Wish you were (still) here.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A Happy Birthday to S-P. He's probably cussing us for continuing to bring him up, but most of us will gladly take the butt-chewing later. It's worth it.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Regrettably, I never had the privilege of meeting SP. Because of that, I feel like a bit of an interloper on this thread, but based on the wonderful portrait of him painted by all of you, I feel like I know him, and certainly like and respect him from the bottom of my heart. Happy birthday, spnited!

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I still think of him and the "no one cares about your fantasy team" motto, especially this past week when I got really effing sick of hearing about fantasy drafts in my office.

By the way, people, it's true. No one cares.

Draft saved Draft deleted