1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Tim Horton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I can't decide which is my favorite Hortons. The one in Cornwall or the one in Charlottetown, right near UPEI. Hey, I'm born and raised southeast U.S. And Hortons rules them all.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

If Gretzky had died in a high-speed car crash as a member of the Blues, while driving home to St. Louis after a game, he'd have been mourned by many as a Blue. That's just the way it is.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But he'd always be remembered primarily as an Oiler

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It also depends on your perspective. I don't have any memories of Tim Horton as a hockey player, much less as a Leaf. Toronto traded him the same year I was born. So for me to see him in a painting wearing a Sabres uniform, well, it doesn't bother me that much.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Horton/Stanley and Baun/Brewer were d gods in Toronto when I was growing up.

But then I also remember Bill Barilko's goal. :)

Seriously, Horton's great days were as a Leaf.

As a sidenote, I loved Brewer because he cut the palms out of his gloves so he could grab on to opposing players but the refs couldn't quite catch it.

Stanley may have been the slowest skating defenseman I've ever seen. It took him friggin' minutes to lug the puck out of his own end.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hear Stanley is not doing well. His father was born and raised in Bruce County, and his father's brother scored the Cup winner for Vancouver in 1915.

Draft saved Draft deleted