1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Tim Horton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The hockey player, not the doughnut chain.

Tim would be 82 today. One of the strongest and toughest d-man of his day.

Love this interview with HNIC's Ward Cornell

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/bio_timhorton.html

First Tim's was in the Hammer, not far from Ivor Wynne Stadium

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's Tim, not Tom, Alex! :)

Late friend of mine's father was Horton's defence partner in junior. He said Horton was a beast, an incredibly strong man who couldn't really fight that well but would occasionally grab guys in a bear hug and throw them over the boards into the bench. That usually settled things.

I miss the paintings of Horton - in his Sabres uni - that used to hang in the coffee shops. First Tims I remember was in Etobicoke on the Queensway when I used to stop there on Saturdays for hot chocolate and a donut after an afternoon at Queensway Bowl.

I was eight when he wrecked his car on the QEW after a game against the Leafs. His death is one of the first I remember.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Happy Birthday, Tom Horton

That one on the Queensway must be one of the first stores in the area. Still has that old Tim's feel to it. Go there from time to time.

As a defenseman, Tim was also one of the best at moving the puck out of his own zone and he had a howitzer for a slap shot.

He was a real old school hockey guy

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Been years since I was in that area, had no idea that store was still there. For me it's tough to pinpoint the time when all of sudden Tims was everywhere, our local mall has three of them.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of the most beloved Sabres of all time, despite his relatively short stay at the Aud. I loved the Leafs' tough defensemen, like Horton and Bobby Baun.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Picture of the first Tim's in Hamilton.

[​IMG]

And here's the street sign

[​IMG]

Ottawa St North is right in the heart of the steel mills.

There's a Tim's about every half kilometre in the Hammer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but about 4-5 years ago Stephen Brunt did a great feature for Toronto Life about Horton's widow Lori, and how Ron Joyce bought her shares for like a million bucks (and may or may not have taken advantage of her narcotic-induced haze at the time). I also didn't know until then that Joyce's son married Horton's daughter not long ago.

I'll try to dig it up.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Donuts are great. Coffee sucks.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read that Tim's now has stores on a lot of Army bases. Is that where you get it or did you try it it on a trip north?

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

With the Horton-Stanley and Brewer-Baun pairings, thre wasn't much room left for any other defencemen on those Maple Leaf teams.
    Ward Cornell was great; there was great angst when Dave Hodge replaced him on HNIC

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

They don't have them anymore? That's so wrong.

Canadian maple ... Timbits ... mmm...

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I read somewhere they took them out around the time they changed the name from Tim Horton's to Tim Hortons.

Draft saved Draft deleted