1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday Spnited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This seems like the perfect thread...anyone in the CIAFL want to trade me for Vince Young? Bargain-basement deal!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Zeke will kill a hobo in spnited's honor

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Happy birthday to a guy whose opinion I always respect, even if I disagree. You're an asset to SportsJournalists.com and I wish you nothing short of your happiest birthday yet. And that's saying something.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Do we need a new thread for every fucking birthday? :)

I kid, I kid.

Happy birthday, sire.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to one of my fave posters - and a guy who can ask JR how things were in the good old days!

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, spnited!

I hope all those preview sections are done, so you can actually take the day off!

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to the second oldest guy on the board.

I'm getting my shuffleboard shoes all polished for next summer's extravaganza.

Have a good one, pal.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank you all, my firends,for the birthday wishes. I'm might even knock off the grumpy old man act for a day -- or at least a few hours.

And Paper Doll nailed it ... eight straight days of work, three 20 page special sections closed in the past three days days = 1 day off.

I'm chillin' for now and going to dinner with my sister tonight. Her birthday is the 20th (and she's even older than me), so the real party comes when we go to Vegas a week from Sunday!

And to reiterate what that old Canuckistani JR said Monday...next summer, NYC, JR & Spnited 60th birthday bash.
    BE THERE!

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Spnited, my friend ... all of Canuckistan will toast you today!!
    [​IMG]

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rather than offer up some tired age jokes or something of that ilk, I thought I'd ring up one of Spnited's favorites and have him stop by for a special SJ guest appearance.

[​IMG]

"You'll always be No. 1 in my book, Spirited. Keep up the good work, baby! Happy birthday to you and yours. Your pal, Willie!"

Some of you might be wondering how I pulled that gesture of good will off. Well, it didn't exactly go as planned.

The truth is I lied. I didn't dare tell Willie Randolph whose birthday he was extending good wishes to until he asked. I told him it was for Mike311gd, but that we call him "spirited" on the board.

Willie did his thing, but he seemed suspicious. Then he asked, "Why do you call that dude spirited? I thought he was the guy who never got laid?"

I was stumped. Uh, er, we call him that because he loves the Mets, and when your job was on the line, he was spirited in your defense?

Cue unconvincing half-smile from me. Cue irritated blank stare from Willie.

"Now I know that's bullshit, give me that fucking computer!"

Willie wrested the laptop from my hands and did a SJ search for "Spirited". Sure enough, all of the bastardizations of Spnited's name by various posters over the years came up and Willie figured it out.

"SPNITED, HUH! I KNEW IT!

"I want to do a new message right now, Bubbler, or I'm going to do my best double-play pivot and swing my foot right up your ass. I'll call up Bucky Dent or Bobby Meacham so I can get the motion just right, too, bitch, so don't fuck with me."

I surrendered the laptop, showed Willie how to do the SJ picture function under threat of being force-fed long-past rancid Reggie bars Willie had left over at his place, and here's what he came up with.

[​IMG]

"So I heard it was your birthday, motherfucker. Well you might have successfully driven me out of the Mets dugout, I'm going to make it my mission to drive you closer to your grave!

What's that? You're 193 years old? This ought to be the easiest mission I've ever undertaken since I gave Aaron Heilman bullpen pointers. You suck, jive-ass old man. You suck, you suck, you suck! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

Happy birthday? Shit. See that bubble I'm blowing. That represents you, Spnited. You blow and you can blow birthday candles right out of my bubbly black ass! Out!"

Willie slammed my laptop down and it was lucky to survive his cauldron of pent-up rage. I said a meek, "Thanks". He responded with, "Go fuck yourself, Bubbler."

Having read his rant, I have to admit, he does rage about as well as he managed the Mets, but I left it for posterity.

(Happy birthday, Spirited, Spnited!)

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's quality. Or as Tomas would say: solid. damn solid.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Amazing, Bubbler. Give Willie my best.

Draft saved Draft deleted