1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday Songbird!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Happy Birthday!

These guys wish you one, too:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huggy & I send our Birthday wishes from the Great White North.

Have a good one, Songbird.

[​IMG]

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A very Happy Birthday wish to one of the board's good people.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hey man, wish we could burn a fattie and jam to Oasis on your b-day.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Anna's on her way.

[​IMG]

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Happy birthday, Xan!

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Anna's looking wary, hoping the restraining order is respected.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

A birthday-suited Whoopi Goldberg says "Happy Birthday, Xan. Come enter me like you're a psychic and I'm Demi Moore, sans eyebrows."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. Truly. A good day that began at the gym with serious sweat-making became one of the best days of the last 15 years when a guy at work told me he scored me a press/photo pass to see the Oasis show Friday in NYC. As you can imagine, the cockles of my heart are splotched with buckets of creamy, gooey thrill. Oasis. New York. Ten feet in front of those goddman Gallagher brothers. Federer and the Gallaghers four days apart ... does life get any better?

Dooley, funny pic. I'll bring the rolled up 100s, and we'll blast off to the other side of Pluto ;) What will be interesting is my resolve Friday before I rail it up to the city .. because ... well, you know ... Oasis and the lyrics "all your dreams are made, when you're chained to the mirror and the razor blade ..." go hand-in-hand in a world I once inhabited. IMO, that's the greatest rock 'n' roll song of all time. There were nights in Roswell ... err, I mean, umm, I was the poster child for those lyrics of that song.

But today I turn 37. Do I really need to do that anymore? Often during the last year or two I've thought of a quote Hunter Thompson loved ...

My whole life I lived like a beast -- a sexy beast (thank you very much, Roswell Movie Club) -- to avoid being any semblance of a man. Sometimes it's easier living like a beast so you don't have to be a man. No regrets, though. Everything I chose to do was the right thing to do at that moment in time. I wouldn't trade my life up to this point for anyone's. But, at some point you have to grow up.

So maybe the high isn't hoarking gaggers galore to enjoy a moment. Because Friday night, Oasis in person, in front of the front row is the high I ought to enjoy crisp of mind and abuzz of heart and soul. It's time to celebrate the excitement of being a man and tell that beast to take a flying fugget (for now anyway).

So that's the goal for year 37 of Songbird's existence. Now, if Liam Gallagher were to ask me backstage for Friday's afterparty and hand me a rolled-up Benjamin ...

Thanks again KY, Dools, Lies, Piotr, Bubbs, Kokane_mutha (ahh, sweet Meg), forever, Mike311, freelance, jande, slappy (I'll never understand you ;) ), KG (a girl after my own cocka-cocka-kaw heart), sam, beaker, cadet (love that pick) and bucky (one day, my friend, we'll sit in the Coliseum and watch the Trojans; I still haven't seen them live), JR and Huggy (I'm Toronto-bound, eh, for the film fest and to tell Dougie Gilmour to stop crying about a little blood), hockeybeat (whose book I'll be first in line to buy), Trey (my heart pumped a little harder and faster when I saw that pic of the most beautiful woman of my lifetime), diabeetus, and perennially overated (who, deep down, wants to ride the Whoopi train, too).

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to a guy who can still make me laugh, even when I <i>really</i> want to kick his azz.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Xan!! Hope its a great one.
    If you get arrested for being drunk & disorderly at (or after) the Oasis concert, call someone else to bail you out, not me.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, Xan. You share a birthday with the man I admire most. My dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted