1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Skydome aka Rogers Centre

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never been there but I've always thought it was a pretty cool ballpark on TV. Much more character than the cookie-cutter siblings that preceded it.

SkyDome and Royals Stadium are the only two parks from that era that aged well.

The Truman Sports Complex was decades ahead of its time too. The only drawback is its location.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Kansas City? :)

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm bailing on work today to go catch the Jays-Angels matinee. Hoping the roof is open -no reason it shouldn't be with no rain in the forecast - because, as JR says, it makes it a great place to watch a game.

Seen dozens of games there, including two WS games back in the glory days. They've done a great job fixing up the main concourse, it's much more open and brighter than it was back in the day.

Have seen the roof close many times but a few seasons back in the regular-season finale against the Royals, they opened the roof just before the first pitch, which I had never seen. It had rained all morning but then cleared and turned very hot.

First event I ever saw there was a disastrous oldies rock thing headlined by Chuck Berry just after it opened. Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino were both last-minute scratches after apparently suffering heart attacks. (So said Ronnie Hawkins, the MC, from the stage. I doubt they were booked at all.) Little Richard played and killed, Frankie Valli and the boys weren't bad either. Chuck was drunk and played "Sweet Little Sixteen" twice in the first five songs. Awful.

It's a shitty concert venue.

Draft saved Draft deleted