1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, Nelson Mandela!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Wicked, I don't even want to hear it.
    I'm not pretending ANYONE is without fault.
    But I give a free pass to any "misguided" concessions Mandela made enroute to the gains he strived to make.
    My dad was a young district attorney in an adjoining Mississippi county to Neshoba, where the three Civil Rights workers were killed, buried and uncovered in 1964.
    He was a fair man who didn't tow any party lines back then, but we've discussed those days back when many times. He told me once that Mickey Schwerner was an asshole with a terrible penchant for pushing the envelope and purposely getting under local law enforcement's skin.

I told my father, the mountains to climb and the hurdles to try and get over in the Deep South back then were so steep, and the deck was stacked so far in the bad guys' favor, that you practically had to be an asshole if you were ever gonna make any headway. You practically had to spit in the some of these sheriff's or policemen's faces to make a point.

Go rent a copy of Biko or do a study on the conditions in South Africa that existed for many, many years and you might wind up calling Mandela courageous.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No one is without fault. And when I look at civil rights/civil disobedience pioneers of the last century, I don't see how you don't put Mandela right there on the list with Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. None of them were perfect men, in their private or public lives. But each achieved a type of greatness that is rare. They were born into unjust socities with outright policies of racism and they seized their moments in time to do amazing, inspirational things and to bring about change with beautiful spirits and souls, through leadership they were able to demonstrate despite the hatred they had to stare down.

When you say Mandela was no Gandhi, don't forget that even though Gandhi played a role in South Africa earlier in his life, the struggle he fought for in India was independence, and the British rule over India was somewhat less insidious than apartheid was to South Africa--even if they treated the Indians poorly. Gandhi studied at the University level in England and was a lawyer. He was afforded opportunities that Nelson Mandela could have never dreamed of early in his life, even if once Gandhi got back to India, his education did little to protect him from racism that held him down.

But because Gandhi was educated, could have assimilated and lived a much better life than Mandela could have ever dreamed of, would you argue that Gandhi was no Mandela in terms of scope? It seems about the same as saying, Mandela was no Gandhi, because as a young man he advocated violent resistance -- something that seems perfectly understandable to me and is remarkable in its own way, given that 99.9 percent of the black people living under apartheid felt NO ability to resist at all because it was that suffocating.

To me, they were both remarkable men, ideological leaders who brought about just change, and rose to greatness in the face of overwhelming odds, in ways that 99.9 percent of the rest of us couldn't. They had something special.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Blitz, your father is the district attorney??

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He "WAS A" district attorney in that area where the events took place.
    The eventual trial was a federal one, which took place three years later and NOT in Neshoba County where the killings took place.
    The civil rights workers, if you remember, traveled across many county lines in their work to register blacks to vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted