1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, not according to Facebook. My page-a-day sports calendar tells me Ali is 68 today.

Still The Greatest. Still The Champ. The biggest sports figure of my lifetime, period.

Me.
    Wheee!

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Muhammad has a great birthday... In fact, out of all 365 days, I can't think of a more special day than Jan. 17.

Happy Birthday, Champ!

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I almost bought Fighting Ali last night on PPV. Trailer looked pretty good, but I didn't pull the trigger and buy it. I will eventually. Maybe.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

A true American original. Hopefully he'll be with us for many years to come.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truly The Greatest.
    And as Moddy said, by far the biggest spports figure of my lifetime.
    Happy Birthday to a true American classic and treasure.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

My parents met Muhammad Ali back in the '70s in Miami - Ali and his entourage came into a restaurant where they dined, and the first people he gravitated to were the kitchen workers.

To this day, my father said he's only seen two athletes with the aura of greatness. And the other guy still couldn't match that of Ali.

Happy birthday to The Greatest.

7. Moderator1

[​IMG]

I feel for our younger members who never got to experience Ali in his prime.
    King of the World should be required reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

One of my best childhood memories is listening to the Zaire fight on the radio.. I think I was 8 at the time. It's a shame to see where boxing has gone since Ali.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In 1994, I covered the graduation at Mt. Ida college, where Ali received an honorary degree. He did his magic tricks and told a few jokes. He seemed really cool. I had a really nice talk with his wife, Lonnie.

10. Moderator1

A bunch of us went to a pre-Olympics party at a horse track in Sydney where Ali was the guest of honor. Even with his Parkinson's or whatever advanced, he still had that presence. It was all I could do not to hyperventilate.

Ali standing at the torch ready to light it in Atlanta was another heart stopping moment.

I made my class last year read Lawdy Lawdy He's Great. I have another class starting Tuesday - may require it again.

Trust me. Lawdy, lawdy. He's great.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All the media offerings on Muhammad Ali has clearly shown his greatness. The fact that ESPN chose Michael Jordan as greater than Ali was sickening. Yes, sickening. And terribly short-sighted.

We've also seen Ali soldier on in spite of Parkinson's Disease. That's another massive battle in its own right. Keep Pounding, Champ.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I also really enjoyed "The Fight" by Norman Mailer.

Draft saved Draft deleted