1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Honest Abe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's no presidential race in 2009

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We live around the corner from Cooper Union. Since I bore our out-of-town visitors with the story of Lincoln's 1860 speech there whenever we walk them past the place, I'll bore you all with it, too. If only second hand:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/cooper.htm

http://www.historynow.org/12_2005/historian2.html

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good stuff - As the story went in Private Ryan - George Marshall kept a copy of that letter on his desk during WW II

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm still going to vote for him.

5. It's not going to get you any girls.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Like I'm worried about that. Abe's my boy. We'll party enough when I'm dead that I won't worry about the missed opportunities.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Stephen A. Douglas was a babe magnet.

8. Ned

Ned New Member

Actually, I don't think Mrs. Bixby lost all five. She lost two and maybe three, which is no doubt terrible, but I think one of her sons deserted and the other was discharged.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What government employees do you know who get the day off? Next Monday yes, today, no.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I wonder what this country would have been like if he didn't go to the play that night.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In some circles there was talk that Abe might have been a candidate to live in the West Village.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always wonder how they make that determination almost 150 years after the guy has been dead...

Draft saved Draft deleted