1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, CDs!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Also, I'm not sure if Bubbler is going to post in this thread, but his first three were:

1. Chicago - Chicago IX (Greatest Hits)
    2. Eazy E - Eazy Duz It
    3. Genesis - Abacab

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oh, I suspect he'll be posting now.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus. How do you remember that kind of shit? I knew Chicago was the first (it was on sale) and Genesis was in there. Forgot about Eazy E. Can't believe I later sold it.

The thing I remember about my Eazy Duz It CD is that I used one of those disc-cleaning chemicals on it and it smeared away all of the type on the front of the CD. Ruthless Records obviously spent more money on L.A. Raiders caps than on disc quality.

I still buy CDs. I'm old school and still prefer to have something tangible in my hand than completely rely on digital downloads. I like digital for individual songs, but prefer CDs if I want an entire album. I still burn CDs too, mainly for my car.

And I also prefer them because iTunes, Rhapsody, etc., while great, still aren't as definitive when it comes to selection as CDs can be. To wit, when Amoeba Records was suggested to me on the El Lay thread, I looked at its inventory and found all kinds of shit that isn't available via download.

And record stores, while not as prevalent as they were in the 90s, are still around. There's usually one really good one per major city/college town. I just like the record store vibe.

Re-sale joints have become pretty decent too when it comes to finding CDs.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

CDs are also quite a bit higher quality than a compressed MP3 file.

5. Bubbler

That too.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I am the same. I buy used CDs all the time, though mostly off Amazon now. I sort of feel guilty about it, but I don't know a good record store in my new area. When I bought a new car stereo, I went with a CD player instead of an MP3 player.

And Ruthless Records sucked. And Eazy Duz It sucked. And Eazy E, Eazy E can eat a big fat diii-hick. Or, I guess, he can't. Because he's dead.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

While I have a lot of digital mp3's, I too still buy CD's on occasion if I want an entire album.

I also burn a lot of the mp3's I have on to CD's for the car. Just much easier to listen to a CD in the car than it is to hook up the mp3 player through an adapter.

8. Bubbler

You'd better watch that shit. You're going to get dissed in Eazy E's liner notes from heaven! (Or, more likely, hell.)

"To Versatile, thanks for nothing biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!"

(I believe that's actually from Too Short's Life Is ... album)

Rap CD liner notes from the early 90s were worth the price of admission.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love booklets. Particularly the ones that go through the trouble of reprinting the lyrics but make it in a completely illegible font. And the ones with lots of photos of the rapper/group in various absurd poses.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm down with the sound of Amerikkka's Most Wanted. Rollin' with the Lench Mob.

12. Bubbler

I bought Eazy-Duz-It well before N.W.A. broke up. Saw the original Cube-Eazy E-MC Ren-Yella-Dre N.W.A. before they broke up on their '89 tour.

Once the split occurred, Ice Cube was far, far better.

Awesome. I hope some day I qualify for an "obitchuary".

Why would they use "creditz" and not use "trackz"? Dammit Eazy, if Prince can stick with his language, you can stick with yourz.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted