1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, CDs!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Step
    2. Sam Kinison - Have You Seen Me Lately

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I can't remember my third. Neither were brand new. I knew I liked them, so they were my first two. Bought them the same day at the local music store.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I miss the old style record stores. Not like the mall chain ones, but the independently owned, usually in a strip mall or free standing location. They would have rows and rows of cassettes and CDs, usually some vinyl records, a bunch of cool music posters, were a ticket outlet for area concert venues, carried bootlegs of live music and most served as the neighborhood head shop.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

mine too. Got it for christmas the year I got my first CD player.Also got INXS "X" which had a few good tracks but wasn't as solid. I think I played Rattle and Hum several times a week. I still have it. I still think "Pride," "Angel of Harlem" and "Love Rescue Me" is one of the best three-song stretches on any album.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify, brother. Downtown Toronto had so many great ones, specifically a stretch of Yonge St. from Dundas to Bloor. You could spend hours on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon cruising the bins at a couple of them. Come back the next week and hit another one or two, man those were the days.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I also miss those places, but would you trade unlimited access to music at your fingertips for those shops to come back?

Selling physical albums in a physical and specialized location can't work anymore.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There still are a few record stores like that around, if you know where to look. Even my smallish, out-of-the-way town still has one. And I visit it several times a year (would go more often if not for Mrs. Coco keeping a tight rein on our budget!).

First CD I bought? Wasn't until I married the above-mentioned Mrs. Coco, who had a small CD/cassette boom box, in 1994. I believe it was this album:

[​IMG]

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Probably tipping my hand that I'm a bit younger than some others here, but first three:

- "Dookie" by Green Day
    - "Jagged Little Pill" by Alanis Morisette
    - Presidents of the United States of America's self-entitled album

If I'm remembering correctly, judging from Wikipedia dates on the album release dates, my first CD player I got around the time of the PUSA album, the last of the three to drop in around 1995. I was 11 at the time.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In high school, pretty much everyone had three CDs - Dookie, The Blue Album and Sublime's self-entitled.

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

My first three:

1. AC/DC - High Voltage (This was a gift from my sister's high school boyfriend.)
    2. Nirvana - Nevermind
    3. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I didn't buy a single CD through high school. First ones I ever got were the three-pack from Columbia House: Eagles, The Who and Steve Miller. Totally fresh when I bought them in 1990.

Kind of interesting to look at the best-selling albums of all time and see just how many were goosed by those clubs. The Eagles Greatest Hits is the #1 selling album of all time.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_sold_albums.html

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Nah, I wouldn't trade it. Just one of those things that I really miss from my junior high and high school days, spending a Saturday afternoon hanging out there, or camping out in line to make sure we got good seats for the Def Leppard show coming to the area, or finding a really high-quality concert bootleg tape of the R.E.M. show that I wasn't able to go to.

Kind of like getting The Sporting News and combing through every single baseball box score from the previous week, or watching the NBC baseball Game of the Week on Saturdays and Monday Night Baseball on ABC, no matter who the teams were, because it was the only non-Cubs and non-Braves games that were ever on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted