1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday Bob Uecker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

75 today. Still sitting in the front row.

Also today: Wayne Gretzky is 49. Time does fly.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am such a huge fan of Uecker, I'm even willing to overlook the fact he slummed for Mr. Belvedere. :)

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Get up, get up, get out of here, gone!

A stone cold icon in Milwaukee and deservedly so. He single-handedly kept all of those horrid years in 90s and 2000s listenable for Brewers fans. Access to his broadcasts is really the only reason I've kept XM/Sirius.

Uecker's the only voice left who was been there with me for my entire life of following sporst. I hope he's there for many more.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I actually saw Ueck play, when he was a backup catcher with the Phils in the 1960s. He didn't hit that much worse than most backup catchers.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Career average of exactly .200, though. That's hard to do.

Two great Letterman bits about Uecker, the first by Artie Lange, the second by Norm MacDonald:

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He's said he was only able to hit as high as .200 because major league pitchers are the best in the world, and sooner or later they're going to hit your bat.

7. Michael_ Gee

You can look it up. The one pitcher Uecker could hit was -- Sandy Koufax.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also had the best line about how to catch Phil Niekro's knuckleball: "I wait for it to stop rolling, then I go pick it up."

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I did look it up. He hit .184 vs. Koufax with 1 HR and 8 K in 38 AB. Although I guess that could be considered "hitting" Koufax. Poor Uecker, the most ABs he had vs. any pitcher was Koufax. Gee, I wonder why the regular catcher didn't play those days ...

On the flip side, he was 3-for-10 vs. Steve Carlton and 2-for-6 vs. Warren Spahn.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/b-pvb.cgi?n1=ueckebo01#choice=&throws=&year_game=career&opp_id=&orderby=PA&orderbyb=Name&minPA2=0&minPA=0&orderbydir=DESC&orderbydirb=ASC&n1=ueckebo01&as=batter

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If you can stomach it, pour down a Miller Lite Lite Beer from Miller for Bob today.

And here's the classic commercial:

11. Michael_ Gee

I saw him get two hits off Koufax. With the Phils, Uecker was almost a platoon player, as regular catcher Clay Dalrymple was almost as bad a hitter and batted left. Then, the Phils got Gus Triandos, and Uecker was THIRD-string.
    There were a lot of weak hitting catchers in the '60s. Lucky for Ueck, he was the funny one.

12. Don't hate on the Belv. How could you forget the episode where the opposing softball team intentionally walked Robert Goulet(!) just to face Uecker with the bases loaded?!? Now that was funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted