1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy April Fool's Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Apr 1, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

;). Hopefully this isn't an omen, though . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/01/guardian-twitter-media-technology

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

In a twist of delicious irony, this newspaperman just tweeted that link. :D

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Outstanding. :D

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sadly, this is an exceptionally well-thought-out and timely April Fool's prank that will probably come true within five years on some level. But for now, I'm enjoying the joke.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Brits really do April Fool's Day justice. I just heard about the BBC's "spaghetti tree" gag.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Washington City Paper goes all Huffington Post today:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/

7. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

When I lived in upstate NY, I worked for a short time at a now-defunct weekly called the Clarion, located in Geneseo. They had a little tradition where, for the first issue in April, they would change the name to "The Blarion" and run some wild story on the front. One year it was that the Summer Olympics were going to be held there and one of the events would be "rooftop running" along the cottages on nearby Conesus Lake.
    But the best one was when they Photoshopped a picture of a crane in front of the main building on the SUNY Geneseo campus and the headline said something like "SUNY Geneseo to close." Literally dozens of people, all of whom were apparently either stupid or had no sense of humor, called to complain and there was a minor panic for a couple hours. Kind of like "War of the Worlds" on a much smaller scale.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

In State College, the "Daily Caligulan" (a takeoff on PSU's "Collegian") appeared every Apr. 1. Think (hope?) I still have the one from '87 or '88, which included front-page art of a new marketing venture by the university -- condoms shaped to look like the Lion and JoePa.

By the way, JK, I love that screen name ...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The tech news site Slashdot has been going crazy with 01 April stuff. It's cute ... for the first story. But the whole effin' page?

10. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Glad to see there's another Bills fan out there in SJ land. I lived in the Rochester area for 38 years, hence the connection. Actually did a 1-on-1 with Kelly maybe 4-5 years ago. Still cocky but not a bad guy. I'm still calling myself the only Bills fan in Southside Virginia until I actually meet another one.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

There are a couple of us here. This one's a season ticket holder (and fanboi-site hack).

12. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

When I worked and lived just outside Charlotte (Monroe, actually) there were several Bills Backers chapters, and I went to watch a few games with one chapter at the Township Grille in Matthews. It was amazing to walk inside and see all the jerseys and memorabilia and feel like you're in Western NY, then walk back outside into the warm NC sunshine. Best of both worlds. Of course, as they say in Charlotte, everybody there is from somewhere else. Half of the newcomers are from Erie County, apparently. No Bills Backers chapters anywhere in southern VA, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted