1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Anniversary Isiah Thomas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 22, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I usually like Johnette Howard's work, but she came off as an Isiah sympathizer here. She used to cover the Pistons during Isiah's career and has written favorably of him before...which isn't a crime. She had great access to him in the 1980s and surely knows him better than anyone currently covering the team.

But he deserves NO sympathy for this. None. Just on basketball crimes alone, he deserve to dangle for all to see. He is even more deserving of taking every last licking once you take into account his, uhh, spotty record of interpersonal relations.

The irony, of coures, is that the only person in MSG who treats people worse than Zeke is piece of shit Jimmy Dolan. Just because that guy is Isiah's boss doesn't mean Isiah deserves sympathy though.

I hope the Knicks go 18-64 and I hope Isiah is the coach for every single second.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why should you fire a guy who will continue to get paid? Historic incompetence and complete failure are insufficient grounds to break the contract. The only way Dolan can end this without having to pay Thomas is for Thomas to quit.

3. heyabbott

“I wanted to put together a team that was exciting for the fans to come and watch, a team that had some character and some guts, but also a team that you can grab a box of popcorn and grab a soda and enjoy the game. ”You want players and you want a team that people want to see. I think this is a team that when everyone is healthy and playing well, it can be an exciting team that people will want to see and talk about.” — February 15, 2004

“As long as I’m the president of basketball operations here in New York, I don’t see myself coaching the New York Knicks,” he said. “And I wish you would stop writing it or stop saying it, because that’s not going to happen while I’m here. — November 19, 2004

“I’ve been in pressure situations before.All my life has basically been about pressure, about having to get it done. And just because you say it publicly does not make me afraid of it or shy away from it. You got a job to do, go get it done.” - responding to the mandate by Dolan for significant progress — June 27, 2006

“To me, it’s win or die. And I literally mean death. I don’t mean walk away. I mean death. That’s how I approach it. And we got a job to do here, we’re going to get it done. I’m confident we got the right players, I’m confident we got the right people, and we’ll dig our way out of this. — December 11

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have a friend who staunchly defends Zeke. It makes me sick to my stomach to argue Zeke's ineptitude with him.

Even with the original post sent to him, he says the stats presented here are skewed in favour of Layden.

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

You need to find a new friend because this one is a complete idiot.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I love Johnette's work. She has a great, unpretentious voice in her writing.

I don't agree with her points in that column, but it made me think: Is Dolan doing this to Thomas as a punishment for the $11 million sexual harassment debacle?

I think it's possible he's pissed and letting him twist.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is all everyone needs to know about the Knicks: as long as Jimmy Dolan is running the show, they will ALWAYS be pathetic. Any other owner would have had the good sense NOT to hire Thomas in the first place. The thing about Dolan is that he fancies himself as the next George Steinbrenner, only he doesn't realize that he lacks the competence or killer instinct.

As despotic as Steinbrenner was in the early days, I don't recall any stories about Yankees staffers following around beat guys with clip-board, writing down every little thing that went down. And also unlike Steinbrenner, Dolan gave out huge contracts to players who CLEARLY didn't deserve them. At least in most instances, free agent busts on the Yanks either had a track record of prior usefulness or put in a quality year or two.

So the first step for a Knicks redemption is to purge the organization of Thomas and all his hallmarks. Cut Marbury -- regardless of the money they'd have to eat -- trade Curry and Randolph and get character guys to save the careers of David Lee and Renaldo Balkman. They don't have to be good. They just have to bring good attitudes and play hard every single game, without exception.

Then, once if that happens, either Dolan's father or David Stern have to intervene and wrestle control away from Jimmy. Yes, I realize that the previous statement is much easier said than done, but I just can't fathom Dolan reaching some sort of enlightenment or nirvana. That is one dog who cannot learn any new tricks.

8. heyabbott

I would love to believe he's that smart and calculating. Letting the dumb bastard twist in the wind and exposing him as a moron and a fraud seems beyond little Dolan's abilities. Maybe it's being done on orders from father Dolan.
    If Isiah wants his money, let him work for it like the crack whore he comes from. Merry Christmas.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Classy. Very classy.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The irony is Little Jamming Jimmy also owns the Rangers, who have been among the NHL's better organizations following the lockout. Methinks LJJD knows nothing about hockey, so he lets Glen Sather do his job without interference; contrast that to his ownership of the Knicks, where he spends money like a sailor on shore leave.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

As a Knicks fan, I never thought I would say this, but Zeke makes me long for the Layden days. At least then, they played hard, were around .500 and made the playoffs. Now, with all the off-the court stuff and the booing in the Garden, its like watching a train wreck.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

That's an unfair slur to Isiah's mother. And an unfair slur to crack whores, who don't deserve to be compared unfavorably to Isiah Thomas.

Draft saved Draft deleted