1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Anniversary, 1980 U.S. hockey team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones listening on the radio.

Mark Johnson is the coach of the US women's team. They play for the gold Thursday:

Monday marked 30 years to the day that Johnson scored two goals in the Miracle on Ice victory over Russia in the 1980 Olympics. As the women's national coach, his mission has been to prepare other players for their own opportunities to play for a gold medal. This team, he said, has distinguished itself through its lack of ego, its accountability, its closeness and its joy in the sport.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/olympics/84990117.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUg7Kk8P3iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. is 10 and absolutely fascinated by this team. He loves "Miracle" (has probably seen it 20 times) and devoured a Toronto Sun feature on Sunday about the team that featured a "Where Are They Now?" box.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

30 years later, it still bugs me that two of the great sporting events of my lifetime I was not allowed to see live:
    Immaculate Reception: blacked out in Pittsburgh because of the old TV rules.
    Miracle On Ice: tape-delayed until after we all knew the result.
    If you don't think these are the good old days in sports, you haven't been around long enough to see what it used to be like.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Czechoslovakia.

I just turned 3 when the Miracle happened. But it was around that time I learned the term, "Commie bastards" from the old man.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, here's a terrific piece by Lisa Olson on the Miracle. Some nice perspective here on the differences between these Olympics and 1980.

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/23/enduring-legacy-of-the-miracle-on-ice/

"I was thinking, how did my dad even watch me play goal? I was that nervous for Ryan," Craig said of the netminder who wears a shamrock on his helmet, a matching tribute to Craig's lucky symbol. "He's an outstanding goalie with a lot of expectations on his shoulders, but he showed us he's up for the challenge.

I remember watching that game and thinking throughout the whole thing, "No fucking way".

You have your Miracle, we have our Summit Series.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

"Miracle" is a really cool movie. It transcends the hazard of a movie based on fairly recent history. It's hard when you know what the people look like in real life - Herb Brooks, Craig Patrick, Jim Craig, etc. The actors, especially Kurt Russell, overcame this.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The son of Russell and Goldie Hawn plays goal. He is playing somewhere in Europe, I think. Not sure.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Meh. I prefer the version with Karl Malden and Steve Guttenberg, with the actual grainy game footage badly spliced into scenes of Malden standing behind a bench at some rec center.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I believe he played Junior A (not Major Junior) in British Columbia a few years back. Huggy might know

They also have a summer home in Muskoka (Northern Ontario) where it seems half the NHL has cottages.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Love them both.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Had managed to avoid hearing the outcome of the game and was watching it when my sister burst into the house from somewhere and said, "Can you believe they won?" Still enjoyed seeing every second of it.

The Czech game was the real eye opener. After they smashed them, people started to wonder what was possible....

What often gets lost/forgotten is if they had lost to Finland on Sunday, they very well could have finished without a medal altogether, much less just losing the gold. And I believe they trailed in that one 2-1 going into the 3rd period.

I tend to think this event and its magnitude will only continue to grow as the years pass on. Truly one of the great examples of the triumph of the human spirit.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wild story about Bobby Ryan who played on a national team with Russell's kid. Russell paid for Ryan to attend hockey camps.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/olympian_dark_off_ice_anguish_nYSDlL3gItjOSuoK3lNqqI

Draft saved Draft deleted