1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 90th birthday to Kirk Douglas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 9, 2006.

1. Kirk Douglas turned 90-years old today. Happy birthday Kirk!

Here are what I consider his 5 best movies.

1. Spartacus
    2. Paths of Glory
    3. Seven Days in May
    4. Lust for Life
    5. There was a Crooked Man

That last one is not very well known but an enjoyable romp-western co-starring Henry Fonda.

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

I'm Spartacus!

3. "Yes, he was a man I knew and admired before he disgraced the four stars on his uniform."
    Happy Birthday to Kirk, breaker of blacklists.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Paths Of Glory is a remarkable film and highly underrated when it comes to naming the greatest films not only of Kubrick's career, but of all-time.

One of my favorites and I'll revive probably my best SJ sig/avatar for Kirk Douglas' 90th birthday occasion ...

[​IMG]

"There are times when I am ashamed to be a member of the human race and this is one such occasion."

And a bonus exchange that would never fit the sig space ...

Colonel Dax: I may be many things, sir. But I am not your boy.
    General Broulard: It would be a pity to lose your promotion before you get it - a promotion you have so very carefully planned for.
    (Colonel Dax mumbles under his breath what Broulard can do with the promotion)
    General Broulard: Colonel Dax! You will apologize at once or I shall have you placed under arrest!
    Colonel Dax: I apologize... for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. And you can go to hell before I apologize to you now or ever again!

[​IMG]

General Broulard: Colonel Dax, you're a disappointment to me. You've spoiled the keenness of your mind by wallowing in sentimentality. You really did want to save those men, and you were not angling for Mireau's command. You are an idealist - and I pity you as I would the village idiot. We're fighting a war, Dax, a war that we've got to win. Those men didn't fight, so they were shot. You bring charges against General Mireau, so I insist that he answer them. Wherein have I done wrong?
    Colonel Dax: Because you don't know the answer to that question, I pity you.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Do you like gladiator films? [/airplane]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pffft. Nothing tops his ornery turn as legitimate Itchy and Scratchy creator Chester P. Lampwick.

[​IMG]

Grampa: I thought I recognized you. I gave you a plate of corn muffins back in 1947 to paint my chicken coop. And you never did it.
    Chester: Those corn muffins were lousy.
    Grampa: Paint my chicken coop!
    Chester: Make me!

7. "If the good guy gets the girl, it's rated PG; If the bad guy gets the girl, it's rated R; and if everybody gets the girl, it's rated X" - Kirk Douglas

Draft saved Draft deleted