1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 90th birthday, Rev. Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Nov 7, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Exactly.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the Super Bowl a couple years back, a writer friend said, "Welcome to Jacksonville, the home of Billy Graham and Fred Durst."

I just checked his wiki page and there is no mention of Jacksonville. I do remember seeing one of his billboards the last time I was there.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

No way. Billy Graham was born and raised along Park Road in Charlotte ... you travel on his highway going to the airport. He's lived in the N.C. mountains for many years.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Says you. Got any more hate you want to spew, while accusing someone of hating?

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ahh, the standard "Says you" defense. I'm shocked!

I'm sure he's a good man to those around him, but there's no denying his inflammatory comments. They're indefensible.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It took chutzpah for the WWWF to bill a wrestler as Superstar Billy Graham. I always wondered about that, whether the wrestler's real name was William Graham.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nope. Wayne Coleman. Retired now, lives in Phoenix.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And before WWF started doing their own entrance themes, didn't he come out to Jesus Christ Superstar?

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

He was baptized at a small church about an hour south of Jacksonville and did much of his early preaching in Northeast Florida.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yep, billed as being from Paradise Valley, Ariz.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He was in the NWA briefly in the mid-80's, which you can watch on WWE 24/7. He looked like the bastard child of Hogan and current-era Scott Steiner, from the look to the mannerisms to the not selling anything.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Okay, good... I knew there was some kind of connection.

Draft saved Draft deleted