1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 80th Beano Cook!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd heard a version of that story before but didn't have all the details down, so I'm glad Pete posted it.

And yes, it's an awesome story.

A couple of other Beano one-liners that didn't make the press release:

"The only place tougher to win than at Notre Dame is at Stalingrad." (Not true, but still funny).

and

"The most heated rivalry of all-time is Germany vs. France. No. 2 is Auburn vs. Alabama." (Probably is true).

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

One of my favorites from Beano,

"Three best ways to never get rich are to have a wife, an ex-wife or a car."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Beano. Part of great screwups...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So when do we get back College Football Quagmires?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I really hope this thread has some great Beano stories. I have never met him, but I have heard if you sit at a table with the guy you come away with more than a few great stories to pass on.

I really liked his analogy of a college football team to the Russian Army...

"Great at home. Terrible on the road."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Michigan is the Germany of college football...."

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Another great Beano line:

"Everything was better 50 years ago except medicine, Civil Rights and air conditioning."

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Must have said that before HD TV.

I love the heart surgery line.

9. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Myself and a few others have lunch w/ Beano every week in Downtown Pittsburgh at this small deli. Have done it going on 10 years ... it is truly an amazing experience.

Perhaps the best one was a few years ago when I had to break the news I was getting married -- if you know Beano, you understand why I phrased it that way - "had" to break the news.

So I say, "Beano, I got engaged."
    The response was simple. He shouted, loudly, "WHY!"
    Then silence. More silence. Ten minutes of silence as he looked down at his sandwich and ate quietly.
    The only other words spoken to me from him was when lunch was wrapping up that day, about 20 minutes later. As we were standing, he shakes my hand and says, "Congratulations for making the biggest mistake of your life."
    I'm happy to report I'm still married. And Beano is still pissed about it.

And there is one more: He had an appointment at the cardiologist not long ago and the doctor tells him, "You might have 10 years or so with this heart." Apparently, Beano looked square at the guy and said, "If I bet the over and don't get there, do you give me my money back?"

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Through the years, Beano's usually been interesting to listen to.
    Happy birthday, Beano!

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Beano's best line will always be what he said when it was announced by Bowie Kuhn that the Iranian hostages were being given lifetime passes to Major League Baseball games.

"Haven't these people suffered enough already?"

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, the line was "Haven't they suffered enough?"

Much more punchy.

Draft saved Draft deleted