1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 70th, John

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 9, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

chilling to see how julian is such a ringer for john in the beatles' hamberg period. eerie.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A very cool gathering in the Strawberry Fields section of Central Park tonite.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Sean for his White Album period, with a little of Yoko mixed in of course.

Julian, now, looks more like John in the "Double Fantasy" period, when basically he went back to a slightly grown-up version of the Teddy Boy look of his teens.

[​IMG]

Hell, Sean is 35 now -- older than John when he made "Walls and Bridges," his penultimate 'original' album.

It's really nice to see, and hopefully it's not just for PR purposes, that they've become close: think about it, they never lived together at any time in their youth, by many reports their mothers have never gotten along (which of course is utterly typical of many divorce situations), yet they still find they have a lot in common.

You gotta think John would be proud of both his "beautiful boys."

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I got to wondering ... is there another non-politician whose murder is routinely described as an assassination?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Malcolm X and MLK were not politicians in the conventional sense of the world.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think Cynthia has been well within her rights when it comes to attitude, considering John treated her like a piece of shit pretty much the whole time they were married. She comes home from a vacation that John had sent her on, only to find Yucko sitting in Cynthia's own home, having just fucked Cynthia's husband, and now she's wearing Cynthia's bathrobe. Next thing you know, Cynthia's out of his life for good and Yucko is there to stay. Yeah, I think I'd have some baggage about that period of my life if I were Cynthia.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I certainly think they were seen as primarily political figures though, don't you?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

fwiw, in every interview i've seen with cynthia on various lennon/beatles remembrance shows, cynthia has always come off as a class act with a great handle on the whirlwind of events surrounding her through beatlemania. i'm quite sure she had to have many issues with john regarding his non-relationship with julian but it seems to me she conducted herself as nothing less than a lady both before and after john's death.

not to threadjack, but can anyone imagine -- no pun -- what it must have been like if you were a 'beatle' (or their mate) during their incredible ride? and make no mistake, whether you're a fan or not, their run from '63-'70 was INCREDIBlE by any measure -- quality of work, quantity of work, lifestyle, beyond fanatical fanfare... i mean, elvis was a phenomena, without question, but didn't face the pressure of continually trying to top himself as a songwriter/musician. like sinatra, his instrument was his voice and gift was as an interpretor of other's work.

apples/oranges, for sure, and i'm not trying to turn this into an elvis vs. beatles discussion. just sayin' it's unfathomable to me that they were able to turn out the volume they did by continually growing and refining their game, all the while under the microscope of what it must have been like to BE them. baby, i'm amazed...

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Some of the stuff they wrote is even more amazing when you consider they were in their early 20s.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've posted this before, but I always like the interview done with George during the Anthology program that ran on ABC. He was asked what it was like to be a Beatle. He said he couldn't answer that because he didn't know what it was like not to be one.

I just always find that cool.

And as posted above, the most amazing thing is all these guys did, the did it before age 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted