1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 70th, John

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

John's take on it all (I believe) would be to ask us, as human beings, to look for a way, in our hearts, to forgive acts caused by mental illness or the insecurity of others.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt it.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'd be happy for the guy that gunned him down to have his ass kicked on a daily basis. While I'm sure Lennon believed a lot of what he preached, I'd be willing to bet a good portion was also calculated to bolster popularity and money.

As I've already said, I more of a McCartney song vs. Lennon song fan, and that was affirmed today listening to Wings and thinking about the post-Beatles Paul songs compared to the post-Beatles John songs. That's just my opinion/tastes/preference, not saying the other point of view is incorrect.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Today's rappers think they invented the idea of responding to each other with songs.

I don't think most people today realize how competitive the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Dylan, etc. were -- and how often they took each other on directly.

5. Starman

How about this songwriters' battle from the late 1930s/early 1940s:

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The 30th anniversary of his murder on Wednesday.

Saw a documentary on CNN that said Mark Chapman's wife never divorced him and they get two conjugal visits per year.

Fuck. That.

Will be listening to a lot of Beatles and Lennon stuff on Wednesday.

7. Shoeless Joe

Rolling Stone is releasing a never before heard interview with Lennon done three days before his death.

He talks about how he has plenty of time to accomplish his goals and that critics want dead heroes. He said "I'm not interesting in being a dead hero."

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

That's what I think of when I hear Imagine.

RIP

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

A quick question for you guys, I've heard so many different stories about this..what type of relationship did John have with his son?

10. Starman

Which one?

His relationship with Julian (b. 1963) was rocky, because Julian was a toddler during the peak years of Beatlemania and John was out of the house a lot, and as soon as that ended, John divorced his mother and took up with Yoko, and after that their contact was intermittent.

However it was not totally nonexistent, John did make some efforts to spend time with Julian and was by most reports showing more interest in him in later years.

Since John's death Julian has blown hot and cold on the topic of his father -- sometimes very positive, other times pretty dismissive of his failure to be a devoted parent. The relationship between Cynthia and Yoko undoubtedly has a lot to do with that. (Yoko of course invariably depicted as some kind of witch and probably not without some cause, but I also get the impression that Cynthia has had a lot of attitude over the years.)

Last I heard or read, Julian was speaking in mostly positive terms of his father -- he was not perfect, could and should have done a lot better, but was trying to do a better job when he was killed. Since Julian now is 7 years older than John ever was, undoubtedly he has a lot better perspective on the whole thing.

Obviously John's relationship with Sean (b. 1975) was very close, since he essentially quit working for about five years to stay with him.

From many different reports, Sean and Julian are actually pretty good friends.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Shoeless Joe

Part of the issue, too, I understand is Julian has no inherited right to "John Lennon" either artistically or financially. Yoko snatched everything for her son, dismissing Julian. She gave him a one-time lump sum of money with it legally binding that he can never reveal the amount.

(This was the blueprint later followed by Teresa Earnhardt.)

Draft saved Draft deleted