1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 70th, John

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 9, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Dec. 8.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about this. In my mind, John's songs carried the White Album. "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Julia" and (a song they didn't even put on the album) "Revolution 1" -- the faster version -- are all great ones.

Sad to think about the songs John Lennon might have recorded over the past three decades. RIP.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

As much as I mourn the loss of his music, I also wonder how the social conscience of this country would be different if John was still with us. (Or, have we lionized him death as we never would have if he were 70yo today.)

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

The 'White Album' is my all time favorite record and I've owned 8 copies.
    "Dear Prudence" is one of Lennon's best. Love "Sexy Sadie" and "Cry Baby Cry" ( "a piece of garbage" said JL), too.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I love Dear Prudence. I can just picture him dreaming it up while she's in her hut afraid to come out.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I, too, am more of a Paul guy, but without Lennon, you had no McCartney. The day they met changed the world.

Happy birthday ... and happy 71st to my dad, too!

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was listening to Weekend Editon on NPR this morning and Scott Simon interviewed David Scheff who did the Playboy Interview with Lennon that appeared just days before he was killed. Apparently the complete interviews with Lennon have been released as an audiobook. Pretty interesting stuff.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Would love to have heard what kind of music he would have made later in life. And who he would have collaborated with, maybe Cobain or someone like that. Oh what could have been.

He had more great songs as a Beatle, but you can't argue how incredible most of his solo catalog was. Even the best songs on Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey would be among his best stuff, IMHO.

Such a waste. My one trip to New York, I walked from our hotel near Madison Square garden down to Strawberry Field and the Dakota. Got a chill when you walked by where he got shot.

I'm 38, but was spoon-fed Beatles by my parents, and they still remain my favorite group ever, and always will.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And then there's Revolution No. 9 ...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed, but "Twist and Shout" is even better, given the circumstances of its recording in one magnificent take.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. July 6, 1957.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Touche ...

At least Paul's White Album clunker was a lot shorter. NO ONE WILL BE WATCHING US!

Draft saved Draft deleted