1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 5772!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This. L'Shana Tova to my fellow MOTs -- observant and lapsed.

Also, Jill Painter of the LA Daily News -- a good friend of mine (full disclosure) -- wrote this nice piece on Jewish football players dealing with games on Yom Kippur.

http://www.dailynews.com/sportscolumnists/ci_19051829

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I visited a local supermarket today to purchase two Yahrzeit candles to light tonight in memory of my dad and brother.

The checker commented "Oh, you're having a candlelight dinner."

I just continued sliding my ATM card and let the comment pass.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My wife is so miserable without coffee that I hate the last few hours of the fast even more. Add a 3 and 6 year old and what would be a mildly uncomfortable fast turns unbearable

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There should be a medical exemption for coffee.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Many start detoxing a couple of weeks ahead of time - made it though. Wishing all a great year.

6. lono

lono Active Member

That's what I thought when I woke up this morning in complete caffeine withdrawal.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Especially for those working night shift after Kol Nidre

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Aren't they supposed to be off in exchange for working on Christmas? (Which, FTR, I think is a win-win system.)

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, how can they even call that a holiday. Yom Kippur is not a holiday. Holidays have balloons and presents and songs (that are not about desperate sins and devastation and death, notwithstanding thanksgiving, of course), and cookies. Seems like an incredible insult to the other holidays to include a day devoted to apologizing for enjoying all the other holidays. (pounds on heart a few extra times for good measure.)

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The aspect of Yom Kippur that I find most wild. It's supposed to be the most holy day for Jews. Atonement and all that. No electricity, no driving, no TV or entertainment. Just fasting and reflection. You can't handle money. You're technically not even supposed to tear toilet paper if you play by the letter of the law.

Except integrated into the service is the Rabbi sermon, which is supposed to be inspirational, but is always mind-numbingly simplistic and dull, and given at a time when the fasting masses are most cranky. And it is usually followed by the president of the Congregation getting up and asking for money, at which point they pass out the envelopes in which you are expected to fold down the tab with the dollar amount of how much you are going to fork over.

I totally get it. It's the one day everyone actually shows up, so it makes sense to hit people up for money. But it just seems so at odds with what the holiday (sorry 21) is supposed to be about.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- not true for my Temple. The rabbi is an amazing speaker and his high holiday sermons were pretty thought provoking. He is basically the only reason why I sporadically attend Friday night services.

And luckily, my congregation is doing OK (for now), so they haven't asked for money on the high holidays in the 5 years that I've belonged.

But fasting sucks.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'll second what Webster said. The last two shuls I've gone to have had great rabbis and no appeals for cash. Nice all around.

Draft saved Draft deleted