1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 50th, The Great One

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Would it be a holiday where you would have to travel to Los Angeles? :D

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed.

we live in a 'what have you done for us lately' world. and we're simply celebrating 'the great one's' greatest feat in, like, forever.

besides, he was only a hockey player.[ducking] 'cause i know how much the white population on SportsJournalists.com celebrate hockey. [ducking again]

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Would you like 20 million of us to show up? :)

4. Mizzougrad96

Can we call her "The great ones"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. Mizzougrad96

Sure. California could use to tourism boost. :D

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gzowski's book, The Game Of Our Lives, is a great look at the Gretzky-era Oilers in 1980-81.

8. maberger

maberger Member

seconded

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Brunt's recent book on Gretzky is pretty solid too. Not as good as his Bobby Orr book but a look at The Trade. Pocklington should have been tarred and feathered.

A publishing company I worked for at the time of the Gzowski book signed a book deal with Kevin Lowe who was going to keep a diary of the life of a pro hockey player. Working title was "Lowedown" Lowe never delivered.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Happy 50th to the best hockey player I ever saw.

Love talking to former NHLers about playing against him. Pete Peeters, who gave up four of the five goals he scored the night he got to 50 in 39 games (50th was into an empty net), had some terrific stories.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Every time I come across one of Gretzky's numbers I have to do a double-take to make sure I'm reading it right.

As JR noted in the OP, Gretzky could have never scored a goal in his career and would still be the all-time scoring leader. Mind-boggling.

With that particular stat as a foundation, I would argue he dominated his sport more than any other athlete dominated theirs. The gap between #1 and #2 in hockey is wider than in any other sport.

(And at age 50 he could probably be a solid second-liner for the Islanders :D)

12. Mizzougrad96

Even though I couldn't give half a shit about hockey, I'm glad I got to see him play a couple times before he retired.

I'd say it would probably be close between him and Babe Ruth as the two athletes who most dominated their sports when they were playing. Maybe Jim Brown too...

Draft saved Draft deleted