1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 50th, Goalie Mask

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 31, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hate to report this but I wore one of those suckers when I played Peewee in about '62. Damn thing fogged up like crazy and I couldn't see my fucking feet.

That's the only reason I didn't make the NHL--stupid goalie mask

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Gerry Desjardins career was ended by an eye injury in 1976:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18489

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Rogie Vachon's career skidded quickly after he got hit in the eye, too. He has a nasty scar around one of his eyes.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The great Terry Sawchuk had 600 stitches in his face before he finally put on a mask

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another interesting thing about Phantom Joe that season. He scored 39 of the Quebec Bulldogs' 93 goals in the 24 games that season. Quebec only won 4 out of the 24 because they gave up an NHL record 7.18 goals per game. The Bulldogs won the game where Malone scored the seven, and won another when he scored six.

Talk about being a one-man team.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Quite the contrast to George Hainsworth season on 1928-29 when he posted 22 shutouts in a 44 game season. Talking about weird stat lines that year he posted a record of 22-7-15 with a 0.92 GAA. Can we say no goal support.

7. maberger

maberger Member

i dont know how to embed the foto here, but this is from a LIFE magazine feature on Sawchuk that 'digitally' enhanced his scars to prove how dangerous the job was back then

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/265946-get-to-know-a-legend-terry-sawchuk

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd love to write my next book about Joe Malone. What a player he must have been. Apparently he scored nine goals in an NHA game a few years earlier. Of course, there was also his 44-goal season in 20 games in 1917-18.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think you mean Bob Stanley.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're right. Stanley came in after Schiraldi gave up singles to Carter, Mitchell & Knight with two out.

Schiraldi should have closed out the series but he choked.

And that wild pitch by Stanley? Passed ball. Gedman should have blocked it.

Draft saved Draft deleted