1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 4th of July!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 4, 2012.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Celebrate the anniversary of the day a few brave Americans declared us free from British tyranny!

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Actually we should be celebrating the Second of July as Independence Day

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/things-fourth-july/story?id=16707033#.T_RsBpHKd3Q

America's second president John Adams is notorious for his love of Independence Day. But if you ask Adams, the country has gotten the date wrong for the past 236 years.

Adams wrote that July 2, the date the Second Continental Congress voted to declare independence from Britain, not July 4, the date Congress' president John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence, should be "the great anniversary Festival."

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America," Adams wrote on July 3, 1776. "It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

At least he got the pomp and parade part right.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/jul/03/shrinking-press-register-will-permanently-change-m-ar-4079011/?referer=None&shorturl=http://bit.ly/LkOiMz

Chill bumps. Still.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would have guessed the night before Thanksgiving.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

America, FUCK YEAH!

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It is the one-year anniversary of being rear-ended by some idiot bitch who wasn't paying attention after fireworks and rammed into the back of our Mazda.

She then lied to the cops about having insurance.

But though she was representative of the stupidity of so many Americans, I won't hold it against you, America.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Recording the Revolutionary War series the Military Channel is broadcasting.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Happy Independence Day my American friends and family.

We all remember and respect that this was the day in 1996 that y'all figured out how to blast the aliens from the sky!

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Against the famine and the Crown, I rebelled, they cut me down.

Now you must raise our child with dignity.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Everyone have a happy and safe 4th!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I came into the office thinking, "Ok, I'll only have to deal with my Canadian clients today because all my American ones will be celebrating the Fourth".

Got more calls today from Americans than Canucks. ???

I was so damn busy I didn't get to come on SJ and wish all of you a Happy Fourth of July until now !

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Holidays are one of the few times that being salaried actually pays off for me. I show up for a few hours, do some house-cleaning, make sure the desk has everything it needs, then take off for the night.

I feel a little guilty -- but only until I remember the many 50-plus hour weeks I put in when school is in session.

Draft saved Draft deleted