1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 40th Birthday to the Canada/Soviet 1972 Summit Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember how awesome Hawerchuk was in 87. Most Jets fans didn't feel he got enough recognition as an elite player so we saw the Canada Cup as a way of letting the rest of the country see how great he was.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. And you can add Larry Murphy to that list. You know, Larry Murphy, who was literally booed out of Toronto only to win two Cups with the Wings.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'll say this for Keenan: he could rally the troops in a short series with national pride on the line.

Of course, it had to be short, otherwise most of said troops (his grinders excluded) would have hung him. ;D

4. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

If the 1972 Summit Series was broadcast on CKLW-TV (now CBET-TV) I watched it in the United States as I grew up near Detroit.

I have a question though that I hope some of the hockey guys will know.

Does anyone remember an old-timer's league named "The Original Six" that played in the early to mid-1970's? The games were televised on CKLW-TV (Channel 9 in the Detroit area) and I watched them religiously. The Red Wings sucked at the time but the old-timer's team was pretty good and near the top of the league. The league had real old-timers in it too - guys that played in 1930's like Milt Schmidt, etc.

If any one remembers the league I would be interested in hearing about it.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No recall of the old-timers league. But I'm intrigued. Maybe Schmidt should have skated a few shifts with Bill Mikkelson on the 74-75 Caps. ;D

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't remember that either, maybe JR has some recollection of it.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I remember it. I was very young at the time but it would come on in the afternoon prior to hnic

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Old as I may be, I have no recollection of that. None

9. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

Thanks for trying!

I have asked about "The Original Six" old-timers league for over 30 years and no one has any clue what I am talking about.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I wonder if the folks at the D.K. (Doc) Seaman Hockey Resource Centre could help you out?

http://www.hhof.com/htmlResCentre/rc01.shtml

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Lot of hooking and holding, both ways, in those highlights. Of course, guys fought through them and scored goals. Now, they dive and squawk at the refs.

I vaguely remember it, being about 9 at the time and a huge hockey fan in Pittsburgh. Lemieux scoring the winner made SOME (albeit small, I'm sure) headlines there.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I don't remember there being an actual league name to it, but I know a lot of the teams had traveling all star teams of former players. I am pretty sure Jacques Plante played for a Canadians old-timers squad before coming back to the NHL with St. Louis in the 1960s. Could you be thinking of those games?

Draft saved Draft deleted