1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 40th Birthday to the Canada/Soviet 1972 Summit Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The greatest hockey tournament of all time.

It t started out as a friendly series of eight hockey games between the top NHL players and the Soviet's best and ended up being an international street fight

The Globe and Mail has a special section today to commemorate Canada's win. The oral history section---they interviewed over 100 people including Soviet players, fans who when to Russia and even Alan Eagleson--is terrific. It's long but worth the read.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-story-of-the-summit-series-as-its-never-been-told-before/article4546471/

Paul Henderson and his family have never bought a drink in Canada in the last 40 years

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wow, JR. Thanks so much for posting. I only got through the interviews but plan to go back to the other features Sunday.

Really enjoyed the memories of the hotel in Moscow with Don Awrey trying to sleep with Pete Mahovlich's feet in his face. Oh, and the bugler being threatened with shipment to Siberia.

Wasn't the late Gary Bergman one of the few to play all eight games? A lot of folks may not remember him but Bergman was a stalwart in that series.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bergie, Esposito, Park, Clarke, Cournoyer. Ellis and Henderson played in all 8.
    And I am old enough to remember bergie playing on some very bad Wings teams....

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, happy anniversary. Wasn't old enough to remember it live, but have seen too many replays.

We should have a World Cup of Hockey this year, like in 2004 before the last lockout.

Next up: the Miami Dolphins complete the first perfect season in NFL history.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great clip here. Dejected and frustrated Phil Esposito speaks his mind about being booed by the Canadian fans. Must have been after the Game 1 rout by the Russians.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=xM5ihA3NBAo

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

After ame 4 in Vancouver

7. Riptide

Ah, thanks. Even further into the battle.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Can't open it on my computer but pretty sure that would have been the Esaw interview after Game 4 at Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver.

9. Riptide

I didn't grow up in hockey, so first time I've seen that Esposito clip. Pretty cool.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, the Globe and Mail piece JR linked called it a call-to-arms speech, a national address, or something along those lines. If you have access to NBC Sports Network, from time to time it runs a good 2-hour documentary on the Summit Series.

The book "Net Worth" is a good read altogether, but has good insight into Alan Eagleson and his involvement in the series.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Some of which were during the period of darkness with Ned Harkness? Slappy, I'm old enough to still possess a Gary Bergman Topps trading card - with the Kansas City Scouts.

OK, I believe I read all the Globe and Mail stories. One mentioned four team members are now deceased but didn't mention names. I've got Bergman and Bill Goldsworthy. Who are the others?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Assistant coach John Ferguson died in 2007. Rick Martin was on the team but did not play.

Draft saved Draft deleted