1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 35th, Blazing Saddles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micke77, Feb 27, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

[the Governor is having trouble putting his pen back into its holder]
    Hedley Lamarr: Think of your secretary...
    [the pen goes straight in]
    Governor William J. Le Petomane: Thank you. That's a good one.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Piss on you arnold. If you have to put a qualifier in, I'd rather have you not agree with me.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw this at a midnight show at the Westhampton Theatre in spring of 1974. Man, I can't ever remember laughing that hard at a movie.

"Is it twu what dey say about black men? It's twu, it's twu!'

Legend has it that Cleavon Little was supposed to say, "Lady, that's my arm," but that line was cut.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Double J...i didn't realize that triva about John Wayne being considered. that's classic. The Duke wanted to be one of the first in line to get a ticket after laughing so hard at the script. I love it.

EStreetJoe....wasn't that a great scene, too, when Little does that routine of "everybody gets it....."
    Priceless, too.

A good friend of mine is coming in for tonight's D-I basketball game I am covering and I can guarantee you we'll be reciting lines from Blazing Saddles all night. he and I and some other friends saw this movie back in 1974 and everyone of us left the theater laughing our asses off.
    it's No. 1 on my all-time list of Mel Brooks' movies, just ahead of Young Frankenstein.
    i've had people who have gone seen Blazing Saddles and would come back and ask, "so what's funny about that movie?"
    they just don't get it, do they?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've posted this in other Blazing Saddles threads, but it's a story worth repeating.
    My parents saw Blazing Saddles in the theater when it first came out in 1974.
    When Mel Brooks' Indian chief started speaking Yiddish my parents cracked up. The story they tell is that the people behind said "wow they must speak Indian"

6. micke77

micke77 Member

speaking of trivia stuff regarding BS, what is the name of the well-endowed secretary of Mel? and any other movie credits for her?

7. Diplomacy returns to the board.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

From trivia search....

Robyn Hilton. Most known for Blazing Saddles role she was pron star most of her career.

Hilton eventually acted in six adult feature films and two dozen sex shorts from 1975 to 1977.

In the fall of 1978, an electrical fire destroyed Mitch Orenstien's private warehouse in Carson City, Nevada. A majority of Hilton's adult shorts and features are considered lost forever as are most of the nude pictures she posed for.

There is virtually no photographic record or evidence of her foray into the adult industry. Hilton finally parted ways with M.O.R.E. Publications in 1990 after twenty years of working together. She has since retired from the film industry. Her current whereabouts are unknown.

9. Boom_70

I am loathe to ever agree with something Fenian post's but this time he is spot on.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a comedy which gets better with age.

Since there are only about two dozen of those since the beginning of talkies, it is
    obviously a rare gem, to be treasured.

11. Boom_70

2 dozen is about right. Mel Brooks , Woody Allen and The Marx Brothers have about a 3rd of those 2 dozen.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mel has three.

The Brothers Marx have two cinches (Duck Soup and Horse Feathers) and arguably, a third (Animal Crackers).

I'm fond of Early Woody, but he's tricky, in that a large percentage of the population has no use for his stuff, whatsoever . . . though some of his early standup routines are unparallelled, especially "The Moose".

Throw in the South Park movie and Animal House.

We're a third of the way there.

Draft saved Draft deleted