1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 25th birthday, New Coke!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I know some of the newer fountain machines have lots of nozzles, you can almost mix whatever custom flavor you want. But you've got to store the syrup tanks somewhere, which takes up floor space, which is the real killer for fast-food joints.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And you have to stir the tanks. [/apollo13]

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Shouldn't this also mark whenever the date was for the death of New Coke? Which was putrid btw. I remember myself and others hoarding regular Coke for months in fear it would give way to that Pepsi-tasting New Coke.

And I remember always doubting the Pepsi taste test commercials. I got to do that once and when the girl poured the drinks I said "That one's the Coke." I could tell by the fizz. She said "Well, we don't want to know which one you think is Coke, but which one tastes better." And I said "That'll be the Coke." I did the "test" and the Pepsi was Pepsi and the Coke was Coke and it tasted better, no two ways about it. I call sham.

My theory is still that the Coke CEO lost a bet with the Pepsi CEO or someone in power and that led to New Coke. What a disasterous marketing idea.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For a while, the two nearest Chick-fil-A's to me, both in malls, didn't have Diet Coke. They only had Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Annoying as hell that was, though the diet lemonade is better anyway.

And Coke Zero sucks. For someone who can only drink Diet Coke and therefore knows nothing else, Coke Zero has the annoying habit of tasting exactly like Coke. Which, I will concede, for most people is a good thing.

5. I was at an age when I really felt outrage that something I loved had been changed. I was completely a Coke person - couldn't stand Pepsi despite the wholly subtle difference - and remember feeling discombobulated with the change, and overjoyed at the announcement they were coming back with "Classic" Coke.
    I don't drink Coke much at all between October and April (winter months north of the Mason-Dixon) but feel orgasmic when consuming a cold can in the summer

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love Coke Zero. A lot.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another Coke Zero fan here. Prefer it to Diet Coke.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Atlanta, we've had a problem here...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wendy's has Coke Zero, too

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Morocco has far more Coke Zero available than "Coca Light."

But they don't have fountain drinks, and have real Coke with real sugar, too.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

AMC movie theaters do too. If you want to pay $6 for a Coke Zero.

Also a big fan, but I guess I don't think it tastes as much like Coke as the advertising suggests. Better than Diet Coke, which is good enough for now.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, it doesn't taste quite like a sugared soda, but it's about as close as a diet soda has come to doing so, in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted